Art Commons Room 208
- Dec 5 Woodlands and Waterfalls: Holly Newton Swift
- Dec 6 Woodlands and Waterfalls: Holly Newton Swift
- Dec 7 Woodlands and Waterfalls: Holly Newton Swift
- Dec 8 Woodlands and Waterfalls: Holly Newton Swift
- Dec 9 Woodlands and Waterfalls: Holly Newton Swift
- Dec 10 Woodlands and Waterfalls: Holly Newton Swift
- Print II students donated original works to benefit the Simpson Housing Services in a show and sale at Burnett Gallery in the Chambers Hotel, Mpls. 2013.
- Art students worked with visiting artist Tattfoo Tan to create Free Seed Libraries to be distributed at public venues as part of the International Roundtable 2012.
- Drew Mintz and Anna Van Voorhis interned at Free Arts MN, a nonprint organization bringing the arts to neglected and abused children.
- Students hand printed postcards highlighting St. Paul neighborhoods disrupted by the Light Rail project, supported by a grant from the Irrigate initiative.
- Print students created a portfolio for exhibit at the Tokyo Fine Arts University, Fall 2008. A copy is on view at the Macalester Humanities Resource Center.
- Arella Vargas ’11 assisted Mexican artist Artemio Rodriguez in printing his 8 'high woodblock print for display in Macalester Gallery as part of the Midamerican Print Council Conference New World/Old World 2010.
- Pei-Hsuan Wang ’10 traveled to Jingdezhen, China, with ceramics professor Gary Erickson to see porcelain production in the city where it was invented. They stayed at Sanbao Ceramics Art Institute and visited universities, museums, and artists’ villages, Summer 2009.
- Erin Hol has been selected for the Art Department’s postgraduate apprenticeship program. Larsen Husby '12, Mike Fausz '12, Gretchen Keiling ’08, Lela Pierce ’08, and Anna Crabtree ’10 recently completed their apprenticeships.
ALL ART STUDIO CLASSES WILL BE OFFERED DURING 2013 RENOVATIONS. TEMPORARY LOCATIONS FOR 2013 CLASSES ARE AS FOLLOWS: SCULPTURE, CERAMICS, 3-D DESIGN: STADIUM. PAINTING: TURCK LOUNGE. PRINTMAKING: LAMPERT 3RD FLOOR NORTH. PHOTOGRAPHY, 2-DIMENSIONAL DESIGN: SNELLING CLINIC, LOWER LEVEL. DRAWING: 4TH FLOOR OLD MAIN.
New features, already in place, as part of the Janet Wallace Fine Arts facility renovations: new Art History classrooms, a media viewing room with smart board technology, new Art History lecture hall, new digital visual resources library, a critique room, new offices for Art History faculty and a new state-of-the-art Gallery.
New DEPARTMENT ENTRANCE:
The Art and Art History department entrance is now accessed from Shaw Field, opposite the Leonard Center. Art History is to the left and up the stairs, Studio Art is being held in remote locations until January 2014.
Sample TOPICS COURSES
- Race, Class & Gender in American Art
- Performance Studies Praxis
- Public Art
- Architectural Drawing