Olin-Rice Science Center, Room 320
E-Notebook can only be installed on computers running Windows (though it seems to work spiffy on Mac hardware that is running Windows), and has been specifically tested only with the following:
- Windows 2000 SP4
- XP Professional SP3 (32 bit only)
- Vista 32-bit only (Vista Home/Home Premium are not supported)
- Windows 7 32 bit (Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise)
- Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise 64 bit
You must be getting your internet connection from Macalester in order for E-Notebook to let you connect to the database. (You may be able to work offline elsewhere...not sure yet!).
IF you satisfy these requirements, here's what to do:
- Follow the instructions for installing ChemDraw, being sure to download Version 12 and to leave E-Notebook checked as an option that you want to install. (The option only appears for Windows installations.) If you are asked about installing a new named instance of SQL Server 2005, say "Yes, install a new named instance" and use the default SA password. [If you have already installed the ChemBioDraw 12 package, just clicking through all the default options, you have already done this!]
- Download this settings file (you will likely have to right click on it and choose "Save Link As..." or something like that) and then save it as (enter this whole thing as the filename):
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CambridgeSoft\E-Notebook\12.0\SqlConfig.xml
confirming [if asked] that you want to overwrite the existing file.
- Run E-Notebook from deep in the Start menu item that ChemDraw created on installation. If E-Notebook asks you if you would like to create a new database or connect to an existing database, say yes, then choose the second option, "Configure client to connect to an existing database." On the next screen simply click "OK," and you should be good to go!
- Enter your E-Notebook username and password, and you are off to the races!