Olin-Rice Science Center, Room 320
Spartan '10 Installation Instructions for Macintosh
Spartan '10 can only be installed on Macintosh computers meeting these requirements:
|Minimum System Requirements|
|Intel-based Macintosh only||1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended)|
|OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or 10.7 (Lion)||60 GB disk space|
|Millions of colors graphics resolution|
Follow these steps for installation:
- Go to Wavefunction's Spartan for Macintosh Download Page and click the link next to Spartan'10 That will download a VERY big file, and you have to wait till it is done.
- Double-click on the downloaded file to mount the installer.
- Open (double-click on) the installer mount point, which should be on your desktop.
- Drag the Spartan icon to the Applications folder icon that appears in the window. Again, you'll have to wait a while.
- Go into your applications folder and find Spartan10 and double-click on it. You will be asked to license the program. Choose NetHasp.
- You probably won't have the right drivers, so click on install drivers. It'll need an admin password.
- Now launch a web browser and point it to http://localhost:1947/
- Click on Configuration, and then on the "Access to Remote License Managers" tab, third one in. There's a box labeled "Specify Search Parameters." Type nmr.macalester.edu in it, then click "Submit". Then click on the top link in the menu on the left side (Sentinel Keys), and wait. YOU HAVE TO BE GETTING YOUR IP ADDRESS from Macalester, which basically means you have to be on campus! After less than a minute, you should see a key entry appear.
- Go back to Spartan and say next. It will tell you it needs to install the background application, click on Install Application and give it your admin password again.
- Click on next, and you should be ready to use Spartan!
IMPORTANT NOTE: We use a networked keyserver with a campus-only firewall. In English, that means you will only be able to run Spartan if you are getting your internet service from on-campus, or are running VPN. If the program asks you to license your copy of Spartan at startup, either it is unable to talk to the keyserver (most likely you are obtaining your IP address from off campus, or have no internet connection) or all of our licenses are in use (a class is using them, on a Tuesday or Thursday, or at night Monday or Wednesday, during a lab section). If that happens, please quit (don't answer the question) and try again when you know you are on-campus with a working internet connection, and it is not the time of a normal lab period.