Olin-Rice Science Center, Room 320
Spartan Student Installation Instructions for Macintosh
Spartan Student can only be installed on Macintosh computers meeting these requirements:
|Minimum System Requirements|
|Intel-based Macintosh only||2 GB RAM (2 GB recommended)|
|OS X 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9||60 GB disk space|
Follow these steps for installation:
- Go to Wavefunction's Spartan for Macintosh Download Page and click the version number link next to Spartan Student V. 6. That will download a VERY big file, and you have to wait untill it is done.
- Double-click on the downloaded installer file, SpartanStudentV6??.dmg (it should be in your downloads folder or on your desktop). You'll have to wait for the package to be uncompressed, which might take a while.
- If it doesn't mount automatically (if you don't see a screen with "Spartan Student Edition" on it), open (double-click on) the installer mount point, which should be on your desktop.
- Drag the Spartan Student icon to the applications folder and then double-click on the Spartan Student icon to open it. If you haven't already done so, you will need to give permission for applications not from the Mac App Store to install, which is in System Preferences:Security and Privacy:General.
- Accept the license terms, and have it install the program. When asked, specify that you want to use the "Network" licensing option. IMPORTANT: You will be asked to "Enter License Server:" - leave the box blank and click "Next >". Click Install one more time, then follow the on-screen instructions.
- A window should pop up for Sentinel Runtime Installer. Install Sentinel Runtime, then click Close.
- After that has installed, the system will go back to Spartan Student. Once you click Done on the installer box, it will fail to find a key. Do not panic!
If either Installation ends with an error, saying "Corrupt Installation Detected," something got messed up while downloading or decompressing the installer (which is quite possible, as it is a very large file). Try downloading it again while not using the internet for anything else, and installing it again (use the repair my installation mode) while not using your computer for anything else (a pain in the bum, I know...)
- Once the installation process is complete and you get to finish, launch a web browser and point it to http://localhost:1947/
- Click on Configuration, and then on the "Access to Remote License Managers" tab, third one in. There's a box labeled "Specify Search Parameters." Type nmr.macalester.edu in it, then click "Submit". Then click on the top link in the menu on the left side (Sentinel Keys), and wait. YOU HAVE TO BE GETTING YOUR IP ADDRESS from Macalester, which basically means you have to be on campus! After less than a minute, you should see a key entry appear.
- Re-launch the Spartan application, and now it should work!
IMPORTANT NOTE: We use a networked keyserver with a campus-only firewall. In English, that means you will only be able to run Spartan if you are getting your internet service from on-campus, or are running VPN. If the program asks you to license your copy of Spartan at startup, either it is unable to talk to the keyserver (most likely you are obtaining your IP address from off campus, or have no internet connection). If that happens, please quit (don't answer the question) and try again when you know you are on-campus with a working internet connection. (Unlike with Spartan proper, we have unlimited seats with Spartan Student and running it when a lab is in session should not be a problem.)