References and Links
- AgBioWorld - AgBioWorld aims to provide science-based information on agricultural
biotechnology issues to various stakeholders across the world.
- Food First
- Food First analyzes the root causes of global hunger, poverty, and
ecological degradation and works to develop solutions in partnership
with movements working for social change.
- Gene Campaign
- Gene Campaign is dedicated to protecting the genetic resources
of the South, and the rights of farming and tribal communities. It
works to strengthen self-reliance in agriculture and the basis ffor
sustainable food security.
- India GM Info - Web source on GM crops/foods and related issues in India.
- International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)-
A non-profit research and training center established to reduce
poverty and hunger, improve the health of rice farmers and consumers,
and ensure environmental sustainability through collaborative research,
partnerships, and strengthening of national agricultural research and
- Navdanya - Navdanya’s mission focuses on improving the well being of small and
marginalized rural producers through non-violent biodiverse organic
farming and fair trade.
United Nations Organizations:
- World Food Programme - The UN's official organization for addressing hunger and food insecurity around the world.
- Genomics and Global Health
- A report of the Genomics Working Group of the Science and Technology
Task Force of the United Nations Millennium Project. Published by the
University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics.
Acharya, T., Daar, A. et al. Genomics and Global Health. Toronto, Canada: University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics, 2004.
Adamu, H. We'll Feed Our People as We See Fit. Printed in The Washington Post, Washington, DC: September 11, 2000.
Entine, J [Edited by]. Let Them Eat Precaution. Washington, DC: AEI Press, 2006.
Golden Rice Humanitarian Board. Golden Rice Homepage. <http://www.goldenrice.org>, 2006.
Holt-Gimenez, E., Altieri, M., and Rosset, P. Food
First Policy Brief No. 12: Ten Reasons Why the Bill and Melinda Gates
Foudation's Alliance for Another Green Revolution Will Not Solve the
Problems of Poverty and Hunger in Sub-Saharan Africa. Oakland, CA: Food First, 2006.
Lappe, M. and Bailey, B. Against the Grain: Biotechnology and the Corporate Takeover of Your Food. Monroe, ME: Common Courage Press, 1998.
McKibben, B. Enough: Staying Human in an Engineered Age. New York, NY: Henry Holt and Co., 2003.
Sahai, S. Can Our Regulatory System Deliver Safe GE Foods: The Bt Brinjal case. Printed in GeneNews. <http://www.genecampaign.org/genenews/gnes-archives=sept-oct06/genenews_ii.htm>, 2006.
Shiva, V. Stolen Harvest: The Hijacking of the Global Food Supply. Cambridge, MA: South End Press, 2000.
All images that appear on this site are either under the creative commons public license or courtesy of Macalester College.