DeWitt Wallace Professor of Philosophy
Philosophy of human rights, ethics, healthcare
Old Main, 112
Fall 2016: by appointment
Key publications or presentations:
- AIDS: Testing and Privacy, co-authored with David J. Mayo and Frank S. Rhame (Salt Lake City: Utah University Press, 1989).
- “The Role of Autonomy in Choosing Physician-Aid-in-Dying,” co-authored with Tom Preston and David Mayo, in Timothy E. Quill and Margaret P. Battin, eds., Physician-Assisted Dying: The Case for Palliative Care and Patient Choice (Baltimore and London: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2004): 39-54.
- “Coverage of Complementary Health Care: Case Commentary,” in Ethical Challenges in Managed Care: A Casebook, edited by Karen G. Gervais, Reinhard Priester, Dorothy E. Vawter, Kimberly K. Otte and Mary M. Solberg (Washington, D.C.: Georgetown University Press, 1999): 77-82.
"Stoic Principles and Deep Ecology," Philosophy and Ecology, edited by K.J. Boudouris (Athens: Ionia Publications, 1999).
- “Does the Human Right to Health Include a Right to Biomedical Enhancement?” Journal of Cognition and Neuroethics, 3(4), (2016): 55-75.
- “Human Rights and the Virtue of Democratic Civility,” Social Philosophy Today, 29 (2013): 61-74.
- “Does the Human Right to Health Lack Content?” Social Philosophy Today, 27 (2011): 49-62.
- "The Virtues of Scholarship and the Virtues of Political Action," Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal (June, 2009).
- "Genetic Engineering and the Consent of Future Persons," Journal of Evolution and Technology, 18(1), (May, 2008): 86-93.
- "Enhancing Human Rights: How the Use of Human Rights Treaties to Prohibit Genetic Engineering Weakens Human Rights," Journal of Evolution and Technology, 18(1), (May, 2008): 27-34
- "Seeking Perfection: A Kantian Look at Genetic Engineering," Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics, vol. 28 (2007): 87-102.
- "Human Rights, Dignity, and the Science of Genetic Engineering," Social Philosophy Today, vol. 22 (2007): 43-57.
“Being a Burden: Reflections on Refusing Medical Care,” The Hastings Center Report, vol. 34, no. 5 (September-October 2004): 37-43.
“A Kantian View of Suicide and End-of-Life Treatment,” Journal of Social Philosophy, Vol. 35, No. 2 (Summer 2004): 277-287.
"Vitalism Revitalized: Vulnerable Populations, Prejudice, and
Physician-Assisted Death, co-authored with David Mayo, Hastings Center Report, Vol. 32, No. 4 (July-August 2002): 14-21.