Philosophy faculty and staff
From left to right: Bill Wilcox, Joy Laine, back - Martin Gunderson, front - Janet Folina, Diane Michelfelder, Toni Schrantz and Geoff Gorham. more
Macalester student is Udall Foundation 2016 Scholar
The Udall Foundation has selected Henry Kellison ’17 (Austin, Texas) as one of 60 students from 49 schools.
Ethics and the Internet
A Mac philosophy class tackles the ethics of dataveillance, social networking, and intellectual property.
Sam Eklund ’14 helps philosophy professor take a new look at 17th century thinkers.
Adrian St. Francis ’13 (Sonoma, Calif.), an English and philosophy major, helped design a poetry class. more
Inventions for Mayo Clinic
Undergraduate science and economics students analyze projects submitted by Mayo physician-scientists.
Why Study Philosophy at Macalester?
If you find yourself passionately wondering about life’s most pressing questions about reality, value, and meaning—in other words, if you have been bitten by the “philosophy bug”—we invite you to explore the many benefits of studying philosophy at Macalester. In the department, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Live the life of the liberal arts
- Work closely with faculty on projects of your own choosing
- Perfect your analytic and verbal skills
- Be a part of a vibrant community
- Make connections to other disciplines
- Prepare for a variety of life/career options
- Sep 29 Philosophy Colloquium: David Taylor on Two Types of Indeterminacy
- Oct 10 Philosophy Colloquium - Michael McNulty '08
- Nov 17 World Philosophy Day - Lisa Heldke