About the program
The Alumni of Color And Friends Host Family Program for Students of Color/Multiracial Students connects incoming and returning domestic students of color/multiracial students with local alumni of color and friends of the college. The goal is to enhance these students' sense of community, both within Macalester and around the Twin Cities. Over its first three years, this program has enjoyed great success. Host families say it is an excellent way to participate in the Macalester community and students say they are grateful to have a "go-to" family nearby who can relate to being a student of color at Macalester College.
Review host family expectations »
Review student expectations »
As a Macalester alumnus/alumna of color or friend of the college, you have a unique perspective on what life at Macalester is like. There are few better mentors for current students to turn to for support than those who have in some way lived a similar experience.
Host families are expected to:
- Meet with their student at least three times per semester either on or off-campus.
- Be a resource to the student, available to provide perspective about their experiences at Mac as well as what the Twin Cities has to offer.
- Be open to their student’s particular customs and cultural background, while at the same time willing to be honest with the Alumni Office if the placement isn't one they are comfortable with.
- Make a commitment of one academic year.
Students converse during host family program's orientation picnic in September 2006.
The transition to college is often hard for a student. Students coming to Minnesota for the first time, especially students of color/multiracial students, may encounter unique cultural challenges in addition to the usual hurdles.
Participating students are expected to:
- Spend time either on or off-campus with their host family on a regular basis.
- Share their perspectives and ideas with their host family.
- Attend program-sponsored events offered by the organizing departments and respond to phone calls and invitations from the host family and the organizing departments.
- Be open to ideas, activities, styles and customs of their host and communicate their concerns to the organizing departments as much as needed.
Contact us for further information
The Alumni of Color and Friends Host Family Program for Students of Color/Multiracial Students program is sponsored by the departments of Alumni Relations and Multicultural Life.
Host family program contact: