1600 Grand Ave
St. Paul MN 55105
We're currently looking for...
- Volunteers for the Macalester Alumni Readers Project - Spring 2014
- Postcard writers to send graduating seniors MacMail
- Serve as Global Ambassador for Admissions
Time commitment: Two to three hours over the Spring semester
Ideal For: Alumni worldwide
Deadline to apply: Friday, February 14
The Macalester Alumni Reader Project (MARP) connects students with alumni who provide substantive feedback on a writing assignment. You don't need to live near campus in order to participate - in fact, the majority of alumni readers live outside of Minnesota and use Skype/Google Hangouts to meet with their students. The following four courses are participating this Spring semester:
- Environmental Justice taught by Chris Wells, Environmental Studies/American Studies
- Sustainable Development and Global Future taught by Professor Roopali Phadke, Environmental Studies/International Studies
- US Civil Rights and Civil Liberties taught by Clare Ryan, Political Science
- Nabokov taught by Julia Chadaga, Russian/English
Alumni readers for each class will be asked to read a single paper of approximately 8-15 pages and provide developmentally appropriate feedback to the student face-to-face. This is an opt-in program for students, so the amount of alumni readers required will depend on how many students decide to participate.
Sign Up to be an Alumni Reader
Time Commitment: 5-20 minutes
Materials Required: Postcard, writing implement, stamp
Deadline: Thursday, May 1
There's nothing quite like those last few weeks leading to graduation. For seniors, it is a unique time for reflection, anticipation and a bit of fear about their next steps. Help welcome the next generation of alumni and congratulate them on their accomplishments by sending in MacMail!
Details and instructions
Ideal for: Alumni currently living outside the United States
Deadline to Apply: Ongoing
International prospective students rarely are able to visit the campus and observe what it is like to be a Macalester student. The Global Ambassadors pilot program seeks to connect Macalester alumni living outside of the US with prospective students. In most instances, prospective students simply wish to hear about your experiences at Macalester; Global Ambassadors may also be asked to interview prospective students and represent Macalester at college fairs.
Learn more and sign up