Markim Hall, Third Floor
SUMMER Hours (May 20-August 23)
Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Friday, 8:30 a.m.-noon
The Leaders in Service Program brings together two distinct groups of student leaders working to encourage community involvement at Macalester. Site Based Coordinators are volunteers who coordinate on-going opportunities for students at specific community sites, while Issue Based Organizers are student employees that work to educate the campus about social issues and support Program staff in their efforts.
The 20+ participating students come together throughout the school year for training, networking, and reflection on community engagement, leadership and social change issues. Leaders in Service form a vital bridge between the Macalester community and local agencies and organizations in the Twin Cities.
Students participating in the Leaders in Service program gain skills in organizing, managing group dynamics, creative problem-solving, and developing relationships with diverse groups of people. Student leaders often continue working in the areas they have volunteered in after graduation, sometimes finding employment as a direct result of their work with the community.
- Participate training retreats and on-going monthly training
- Receive support from the Civic Engagement Center staff for community engagement and social awareness activities
- Gain knowledge about nonprofits, the Twin Cities community, and social issues
- Gain skills in volunteer management, event planning, and group dynamics
- Take advantage of exciting opportunities to develop new campus-community relationships or on-campus programming.