Markim Hall, Third Floor
Monday, 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
Tuesday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Friday, 9 a.m.-noon
Program coordinators are responsible for promoting and coordinating one specific volunteer program at a community agency. They act as liaisons between the agency’s volunteer coordinator, students, and the college on behalf of the Civic Engagement Center.
- One academic year preferred, semester on special arrangement only
3-6 per wk, including your volunteer time at the agency
- Introduce yourself as the program coordinator to agency staff contacts. Set up a formal site visit to familiarize yourself with the program and staff.
- Maintain frequent communication with the Issue Area Coordinator in your area and attend any all-issue meetings they may schedule.
- Work with the Issue Area Coordinator to recruit students for the program- this may include following up with Taste of Service participants, holding information sessions, tabling for your agency, etc.
- Oversee logistics of volunteering at your site, including arranging transportation, setting up volunteer schedules, notifying the agency of holiday breaks, etc.
- Serve as the primary contact for students who are interested in your site, facilitating initial visits to the agency and following up with them after they have begun volunteering.
- Maintain lists of current volunteers and contact information.
- Work with Issue Area Coordinators to recognize volunteers in meaningful ways.
- Assist the CEC in developing future program coordinators for your agency, usually from current volunteers
As a program coordinator, you become a member of the Leaders in Service group, which includes Issue Area Coordinators and Program Coordinators. On-going training includes:
- Monthly Leaders in Service trainings
- Fall and spring retreats
- Interest and experience in the issue area associated with the agency
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Desire to connect with other Macalester students and get them interested in working in the community