Thursday, September 22, 2005
3:00 to 4:30 p.m.
Michael Schneider, Linda Schulte-Sasse, Peter Weisensel, Ruthanne Kurth-Schai (Chair), Karl Wirth, Diane Michelfelder, Beth Cleary, Ellen Guyer, Jayne Niemi
- The minutes from the last meeting were approved.
- Jayne presented the 2006-07 academic calendar which will be going to the president for his approval. Members raised issues about the difference in length of the semesters and the feeling that fall break was later than usual. Jayne will look into these issues and report back.
- The group discussed the possibility of a moratorium on new cross-listings until a college-wide philosophy and policy are developed. Development of a policy is on EPAG’s spring agenda. We decided that a moratorium is not the way to go at the moment. Jayne will talk to individual department chairs if there are concerns that arise in the meantime.
- Linguistics: Diane reported that she had a useful, productive meeting with the department, and the faculty members in the department are taking positive action. Their intent is to bring a curricular proposal to a future EPAG meeting.
- Allocations process: Ruthanne has requested time at the November Department Chairs & Program Directors meeting to get feedback and suggestions regarding the process.
- Curricular Renewal: Multiple invitations have been sent for the lunch discussions. The Center for Scholarship and Teaching (CST) is sponsoring the lunches. The group discussed how the discussions will be “moderated”. The role of the “moderator” is to encourage participation in a discussion. There should be a note-taker, but not for the purpose of posting the notes publicly. Copies of the report and the page summary of the requirement being discussed should be made available at each lunch. The Implementation recommendations summary is being worked on by Joan with help from Ruthanne. The Feedback form and the draft of the introductory email were distributed for discussion and editing.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:16 p.m.