Thursday, October 6, 2005
3:00 to 4:30 p.m.
Ruthanne Kurth-Schai (Chair), Diane Michelfelder, Jayne Niemi, Joan Ostrove, Michael Schneider, Linda Schulte-Sasse, Peter Weisensel, Karl Wirth
- The minutes from the last meeting approved with minor corrections.
- Announcements: The feedback responses are coming in. There was an initial burst of 12; as of this meeting there were 24 responses. We decided to issue another reminder on Monday, perhaps from the Provost jointly with EPAG. Feedback time would be extended to 8 a.m. on Tuesday.
- Beth can’t attend the 7:30 a.m. meeting of the Campus Life committee of the Board of Trustees; we may not be able to find another person who can attend. Ruthanne will check if the agenda mandates attendance; she may be able to attend part of the meeting.
- Calendar 0607: Jayne had emailed some responses to the concerns raised about the calendar at the September 22nd meeting. The calendar as printed will be recommended to the president, noting the concerns mentioned at that meeting. We discussed related matters that have arisen regarding religious holidays, including the International Roundtable scheduling this year. Some schools have websites where religious holidays are posted, particularly those holidays of obligation. There is a policy in the Student Handbook about missing classes due to religious holidays, but such a policy is not in the Faculty Handbook. We discussed methods of disseminating such information so that people are more aware of it. A link to the academic calendar on the web is a good idea, but we also thought it would be wise to have the Provost send out an annual reminder. We will return to this issue after reviewing the policy in the Student Handbook, with the intent of adding a policy to the Faculty Handbook.
- Curricular Renewal: EPAG members who attended the QT lunch reported what they heard. The Committee looked at the revised implementation draft. The role of assessment, and the nature of requirement-based subcommittees were again considered and revisions proposed. We were all asked to re-read the implementation document and continue to suggest revisions to Ruthanne and/or Joan.
Adjourned at 4:29 p.m.