Tuesday, November 22, 2005
3:00 to 4:30 p.m.
Ruthanne Kurth-Schai (Chair), Jayne Niemi, Beth Cleary, Joan Ostrove, Michael Schneider, Ellen Guyer, Karl Wirth, Peter Weisensel, Linda Schulte-Sasse
- Minutes: The minutes from the last meeting were approved.
- Announcements or updates: There are course changes pending for the December 1 circulation to the faculty. If there are any objections to changes circulated at that time, and they are in time to be added to the agenda for the December faculty meeting, we will endeavor to make that happen instead of having to wait until the February meeting. Some faculty have asked that EPAG be prepared to discuss the curricular and governance issues that might arise with the creation of the Institute for Global Citizenship.
- Linguistics: We reviewed the proposed catalog copy in some detail and offered suggestions about the format of the two tracks. Some of the courses in other departments are offered infrequently – it would help to have other alternatives for students in those cases. Ruthanne will ask John Haiman to provide us with a single paragraph for the circulation memo to the faculty, but without quite as much detail as he provided in the first summary version. We discussed necessary revisions to the proposed major’s structure as reflected in the catalog copy. If we have those two revised documents from John by the 30th, we will consider the restructured interdisciplinary major along with course approval proposals on the 1st.
- Study away: A range of substantive issues for consideration were raised. We will devote time during our next meeting to organize and schedule the pending review of the Study Away process.
- Our next meeting is Thursday, December 1st.
Adjourned 4:32 p.m.
Jayne Niemi, Registrar