EPAG Minutes

Thursday, February 2, 2006

8:00 a.m.

Humanities 309

 

Beth Cleary,  Caroline Ettinger, Ellen Guyer,  Andrea Johnson, Mahnaz Kousha, Ruthanne Kurth-Schai (chair), Diane Michelfelder,  Jayne Niemi, Michael Schneider,  Peter Weisensel

 

 

  1. Minutes:  The minutes from the last meeting were approved after revisions and corrections. 
  2. Volunteer opportunities:  Mahnaz Kousha volunteered for the Academic Standing Subcommittee, and Peter Weisensel volunteered for the IDIM Subcommittee opening.   Karl Wirth has indicated his willingness to work on course approval forms and assessment.  For the new graduation requirement subcommittees, the EPAG representatives will be as follows:  Mahnaz Kousha for writing, Peter Weisensel for internationalism, Beth Cleary for multiculturalism and Karl Wirth for quantitative.
  3. Study Away:  RPC (Resource Planning Committee) has been discussing study away and wants to co-sponsor a lunch discussion on the topic.  Two possible dates for the lunch are February 21 and 23.   Michael Schneider will coordinate the planning of this event.  The focus will be the curricular impact of study away, even though RPC is participating.
  4. Cross-listing:   March 23rd is the tentative date for a lunch to get input from faculty about this topic.   Peter Weisensel will coordinate the effort.  Jayne will provide information about current practices and issues.    (The 21st is an alternative date if necessary.)
  5. Interdisciplinary department policy issues:  Peter Weisensel will coordinate this effort to identify the issues that face interdisciplinary departments.  The Provost will sponsor the discussion.
  6. Potential visits:  There are two potential visits that could be scheduled for this semester.  There was discussion of scheduling Lin Aanonsen, the Affirmative Action Officer, prior to consideration of allocations.  Also on the docket, Andrew Latham for The Institute on Global Citizenship.   The committee discussed the various questions about the Institute and how it might affect the curriculum. 
  7. Allocations process:  The calendar of events associated with this process is below.

 

Ruthanne will present an overview of the process at the next faculty meeting.  The President also wants to meet with EPAG about the relationship of allocations to strategic imperatives. 

 

  1. Curriculum changes:  The proposal for a minor in Environmental Studies was approved.   Other course changes and diversity requests were considered.  All but two were approved.  There was a question about the similarity of the proposed History 266 with another course in religious studies, why one section of Hist194 was proposed for domestic diversity when its partner section was not.  Jayne will pursue the answers to these questions, and report back to the Committee.    
  2. Endowed positions:   The Provost requested input on endowed positions, specifically describing a possible scenario of money being given for an endowed chair and how this would play out in the College’s allocation process.  Does the chair have to present an allocation for the endowed position?   Is there a scenario where committees (EPAG/RPC) would ask College Advancement to seek out a donation for a specific area?  The committee discussed these and other attendant questions, and agreed that further discussion is necessary.

 

 

Adjourned at 9:32 a.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Jayne Niemi, Registrar