October 2, 2006
2:45 – 4:15 Campus Center 205
Kendrick Brown, Beth Cleary, Cheryl Contant, Natalia Espejo (except during discussion of item 2), Ellen Guyer, Diane Michelfelder, Wang Ping, Jakob Wartman (except during discussion of item 2), Peter Weisensel (co-chair), Karl Wirth (co-chair)
- The minutes from last week’s meeting were approved as amended.
- We continued our discussion of the request from the Political Science department for a hire without a national search. Karl Wirth will send a memo stating our position to the Faculty Personnel Committee.
- We discussed the four proposed motions drafted by the Faculty Personnel Committee regarding changes in the committee structure and procedures for the appeals of personnel decisions. There were four points that we will bring to FPC for further clarification. Peter Weisensel will communicate our questions/concerns to FPC.
- Provost Michelfelder reported that the group of faculty proposing a concentration in Middle Eastern/Islamic Studies is now prepared to bring that proposal to us for discussion. We suggested that they send us their draft, and then we will invite them to a future meeting.
- We discussed briefly the best procedure for department chairs to sign off on the Course Approval forms for courses being proposed for the General Education requirements. Further discussion is needed on this procedure.
Adjourned: 4:15 p.m.
Ellen D. Guyer
Dean of Academic Programs