EPAG Minutes
February 20, 2007
9:45-11:15, Campus Center 214

Kendrick Brown, Beth Cleary, Terri Fishel, Ellen Guyer,  Diane Michelfelder, Jayne Niemi, Joan Ostrove,  Wang Ping, Michael Schneider,  David Seitz,  Peter Weisensel (co-chair), Karl Wirth (co-chair)

  1. Allocations proposal packets were distributed.  We need a master list so we can check that we have all packets.  Music, Econ and WGSS proposals are still coming.  (See Item 12 for master list.)
  2. Minutes:  The minutes were approved after a minor correction.
  3. Course changes:  Jayne reviewed new additions to the draft of the March 1 circulation memo.  No objections were raised to any of the changes.
  4. Religious Holidays:  Joan distributed a draft of a proposal for the faculty handbook concerning coursework and class participation with regard to religious holidays.   The Chaplain has also been meeting with some faculty about similar issues.   We want to be sure that any list of religious holidays has some indication of which are holidays of obligation.  Overall college scheduling should also take such holidays into account.   In this proposal, we will add “or activities” to the phrase about assignments, to ensure that field trips are covered.  Is the timing of the Chaplain’s mailing appropriate?  We suggested that the Provost send something out, perhaps twice a year at times when syllabi are likely being planned.   There was conversation about whether the policy statement should be stronger.  The subcommittee (Joan and Beth) will craft, hone, and otherwise tweak the proposed text, and we’ll revisit the subject at the next EPAG meeting.
  5. Restructuring report:  Beth reported that the subcommittee (Joan and Beth) has been reviewing the important reasons that led to the creation of EPAG, and they are trying to be respectful of that history, before proposing any restructuring.  She will report again next week.
  6. GER Submissions:  Karl reported that when the website was closed,  he found that there were 50 new applications residing there.  They will be considered in the next round of GE Subcommittee meetings.  Karl requested that any revisions to proposal forms be passed to him.   He also requested a volunteer from each GES to be on MASC; ideally he needs to know before next week, when MASC next meets. 
  7. IS Request for a Minor with a Science emphasis:  We are uncomfortable with a minor that is targeted to a specific group of students.  There is also the question of why IS doesn’t have a general minor.   Given those two things, and the lack of support from the science division, we did not approve the proposed minor.  Karl and Peter will communicate this to the chair of IS, David Moore.
  8. Fellowship curriculum:  Peter reported that there is progress in the development of this proposal.  We would like to see more specifics.   Time may not permit consideration at a faculty meeting if we don’t see a specific proposal soon.  We discussed various points around which we still have questions – there were many such questions.    
  9. Targeted hire:  Biology has submitted a request.  The Provost has endorsed it.  The next step is for EPAG to endorse the request.  If endorsed by EPAG, a brief report does need to go to the Faculty Personnel Committee.   After some questions and discussion, the request was endorsed.  Peter will write to FPC.
  10. Update on Faculty Appeal:  Karl has been in email contact and we are not yet in receipt of the documents.
  11. Latin Honors Motion:  This will be brought to the March 7th faculty meeting.  Peter will send us his draft of the motion for review.
  12. Assignment of allocation case studies:

    a. American Studies (new),  Joan
    b.Anthropology  (replacement), Joan
    c. Asian Lang & Cult (2 new), Ping
    d. Economics (rep), Ping
    e. Geography (new),  Karl
    f. German/Russian (new), Beth
    g. Hispanic Studies (2 rep),  Peter
    h. IS/Russian (new), Beth
    i. Math/CS (rep),  Karl
    j. Music (new) Peter
    k. Philosophy (rep), Michael
    l. Psychology (new), Michael
    m. Religious Studies (2 rep), Kendrick
    n. WGSS (new), Kendrick

    Karl will distribute the template of questions.  Next week, we will designate  dates for case presentations.

Adjourned 11:15 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Jayne Niemi, Registrar