March 6, 2007
8:30-11:15, Campus Center 214
Kendrick Brown, Beth Cleary, Cheryl Contant, Ellen Guyer, Diane Michelfelder, Jayne Niemi, Joan Ostrove, Wang Ping, Michael Schneider, Peter Weisensel (co-chair), Jane Rhodes (Affirmative Action Officer), Karl Wirth (co-chair)
- Diane queried the group about their feelings on canceling a class day (potentially March 27) to do a “teach-in” day. This is proposed by the students as another of the responses to the student party that was held in January. Jane Rhodes described what she knew about this request from students, and what is being planned in the student life area. Some faculty on the committee support canceling a class day, others do not. We do agree that a block of time needs to be set aside to continue the conversation.
- Minutes from the last meeting were approved.
- Allocations considerations began. We reviewed request from Anthropology, Hispanic and Latin American Studies, and History, as well as a joint request from Economics and Political Science.
- We reviewed dates, and Karl agreed to send an email summary of the dates for extended meetings. Please bring your calendar to the March 20th meeting in case additional ones need to be scheduled.
- The ex officio members of the committee departed, while the voting faculty members stayed beyond adjournment to discuss an appeal case.
Adjourned 11:15 a.m.
Jayne Niemi, Registrar