Committees Library, Media and Web Services Advisory Committee Macalester College

Library, Media and Web Services Advisory Committee

Meeting – October 2, 2007, Campus Center 204, 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Present:  Pete Ferderer , Lynn Hudson, Keith Kuwata, Alana Hedlund, Jerry Sanders, Dave Collins, Angi Faiks, Brian Longley, Sara Suelflow, Terri Fishel

Prior to the meeting, copies of the following materials were distributed to the members:

Charge for the Library, Media, Web Services Advisory Group

Library Strategic Plan (which has been expanded to include Media Services)

Draft Library Space Planning Document

Mission Statement for Scholarly Communication Task Force

 

At the meeting copies of the Archives Guidelines and Policies were distributed

 

 

  1. Welcome and Introductions – members of the 2007-08 advisory group include:
    Pete Ferderer (Economics, EPAG), Lynn Hudson (History), Keith Kuwata (Chemistry), Alana Hedlund (Investments, staff representative from SAC), Jerry Sanders (Assoc. VP for ITS),  Dave Collins (Assoc. Library Director, Public Services), Angi Faiks (Assoc. Library Director, Collection Management), Brian Longley (Director of Media Services), Sara Suelflow (Director of Web Services), and Terri Fishel (Library Director).  Members not able to be present at the first meeting are: Jan Serie (Director of the Center for Scholarship and Teaching), and two student representatives: Amia Jackson and Taren Kingser.
    Background information was provided to explain that this was the reformation of a previous advisory group that existed when it was just a Library Advisory Committee.  The last meeting of the Library Advisory Committee was held in April 1999.  That group was dissolved and  an Information Services Advisory Committee was started in Fall 1999 .  In 2005 due to personnel changes, the Library and ITS were separated and the Library now reports to the Provost, and Media Services and Web Services report to the Library.
  2. Review of the Charge :  A copy of the charge for the group had been shared previously, and it was reiterated that we look to this group for advice and consultation about issues that relate to all three areas.  Web Services has a separate campus wide advisory group that focuses on policies and procedures for the campus web site.  It was also reiterated that members of the group may suggest topics for the agenda or bring issues to the attention of the group for discussion.
  3. Approve the Agenda:  There were no additions to the agenda.
  4. Election of a Chair:  Keith Kuwata, Chemistry, graciously agreed to serve as Chair.  Terri will meet with Keith to outline priorities for the group based on discussion of the topics that were listed as possible discussion topics.  Terri agreed to arrange the topics by area and provide a brief overview of each topic.  The group suggested that for each item a brief description, time sensitivity, intended outcome, and whether it required a full report to the desk of the Provost, or just an FYI.
  5. Topics for possible discussion.  We had a long list of topics that were just meant to be examples of areas of possible interest for the group.  The following summaries provide some general idea of the topics that we discussed:
    1. General
      • Annual Report – this was just an FYI that we are in the process of preparing our first report as a merged organization.  Our goal was to get the completed report to the group before the first meeting, but due to summer schedules, a much busier Fall, and other issues, the report is more likely to arrive about Dec. 1.
      • Web Site Overhaul – this was an FYI that we had prepared a plan to request a site overhaul and implementation of a Content Management System to help manage the campus web site.  We have just received word that funds were approved to bring in a consultant for a site review and to make recommendations.  Terri, Sara, and Jerry will be meeting with the Provost in midOctober to discuss the next steps.  We will keep the group appraised of developments as we move forward.  Discussion:  There was a brief discussion of support for faculty web pages, and while it is our intention to provide support for all campus members, requests for assistance are handled on a case-by-case basis.  Sometimes we are working with department coordinators, and other times we are working with individual faculty members, but we respond to any and all requests for assistance and no-one should hesitate to ask for help if needed. 
      • Assessment – LMW has set up several groups to deal with assessment issues, including a group to work on Information Fluency assessment, and assessment overall.  A series of readings has been shared with the staff members, and we are starting a series of discussions in November related to assessment and our services.  A recent development includes the opportunity to include some specific questions in the NSSE (National Survey for Student Engagement) as part of a consortium of private colleges.  The NSSE will be done in Spring of 2008 and we’re working with Institutional Research in preparation.  Previously the Library and Information Services executed a survey every three years.  It has been several years since our last survey, and a topic of discussion for this group could be the development of a survey for Spring 2008.
      • Budget – this is more of an FY, that during the course of the Fall, there are weekly meetings of the Task Force on Budget of which Terri and Jerry are members.  Key issues in our budget planning are serial prices, but this year we will also be discussing the impact our new pay-per-view for articles service may have as well. (See Pay-per-view in Collections)
      • Scholarly Communication – We have a Task Force for Scholarly Communication and a website (www.macalester.edu/library/resources/scholcomm) and the plan for the Fall is to hold a series of divisional meetings to discuss the Future of Scholarly Publishing with faculty.  Our goal is to increase awareness of some of the issues that are related to escalating journal costs, and provide faculty with some information on some actions faculty can take including retaining their rights as authors.  The Social Sciences Division luncheon took place at noon today and we had a good turn out with a good discussion about author rights and open access journals.  Eric Wiertelak talked about an open access journal that he was instrumental in starting (Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education - http://www.funjournal.org/).  Increasing faculty awareness of issues in scholarly communication will be an ongoing area of advocacy for the library.
      • Media Services – Brian led the group that produced a revised and updated Copyright policy located on the web at http://www.macalester.edu/infoservices/copyright/
        Other areas that Brian is involved in include classroom support, and access to media materials.  Although we don’t have a specific topic for the group at this time, the areas of copyright, classroom technology, and media materials are all areas that are relevant for the advisory group.
    1. Collections – there is no question that our collections will be changing as we move to more electronic and less paper collections.  Over the course of the year, we will be bringing a range of issues to the group for discussion and review.
      • Collection Development Policy – we will be bringing a revised policy to the group sometime in the Spring.
      • Pay-per-view – realizing too late that some may have interpreted this as related to television, this is a new pilot project we are starting in January 2008.  We received notice late in the budget year that our Elsevier titles would be doubling in cost if we wanted to continue to receive print and electronic versions in the new subscription year beginning in January 2008.  Discussion with faculty reps and departments resulted in the cancellation of over 40 titles.  We will be implementing a new service that will allow faculty to request individual articles for a fee rather than subscribing to an entire journal.  We will be presenting more details on this program in November in order to get feedback from the group before we implement in December.
      • Acquisitions and Department Allocations – Every Spring we prepare allocation information for the library representatives (the faculty members who serve as liaisons for their department and the library.)  With the addition of new programs, and other changes, it is time to do some reworking of the existing allocations.  We will be bringing more information to the group in the Spring.
      • Digital Assets Management – this is another collaborative effort with the AIAs, plus the Art Visual Curator.  Angi has taken on the leadership for this effort which began in 2004 and includes our Digital Commons and a more recent initiative of a consortium project using ContentDM.  These efforts are to address managing text archives, developing a repository for digital images for use in classroom teaching, as well as address issues related to media and sound materials for use in the classroom. 
      • Library Representatives – the library holds twice a year meetings with faculty members who serve as library representatives for their departments.  The focus is on building the collections, but we often discuss other library related issues.  We will continue to meet with this group and hope to facilitate communication between the LWM Advisory group and the Library Representatives. 
    1. Services and Instruction
      • Information Fluency – the library has been involved in information fluency efforts for more than a decade.  The fruition of our efforts has been the general education requirement for all first year seminars to have a library component.  With this requirement now in place we are turning our attention to measuring outcomes as well as looking at how to expand into research level courses.  This initiative is also a collaborative effort with the AIAs (Academic Information Associates).  Additional information may be found at http://www.macalester.edu/library/about/infolit/index.html
      • Archives Policies – this is a short-term topic and we are bringing to this group because we haven’t ever had policies and as an advisory group, we just wanted to start the process of building a framework for ongoing work in archives.  We don’t currently have records management procedures, and we are currently working just to get a better idea of what we do have in our collection.  Ellen Holt-Werle, the college Archivist, will be coming to one of our meetings and just outlining the work that has been done.  One of our initiatives this year involved the development of an Oral History Program, and there are policies that need to be reviewed with that program as well.  There isn’t anything urgent, but having some feedback on our mission, guidelines, and permissions would be helpful. 
    1. Planning
      • Space Planning – the library building will be 20 years old in 2008.  We have had a group of staff members from the Library, Media, and Web Services looking at space and preparing a proposal for some possible modifications since last January.  We met with two faculty members in the Spring to review some of the proposals and get some feedback.  The draft proposal was shared with the Provost and she gave her approval to move forward with the Advisory Group.   This is time sensitive as if we want to propose a series of small projects with any to begin in 2008, we need to prepare proposals for TFOB (Task Force on Budget) which reviews requests for TEM (projects for technology, equipment, and maintenance.)
      • Staffing Strategic Planning – we are anticipating three retirements within the next three years, so we have started to prepare a process for planning for the types of positions we need versus replacing existing positions.  Media Services has not had any additional staffing for the past 20 years, and Web Services supports the entire campus with 1.81 FTE.   A retirement two years ago led to the reallocation of staffing that allowed us to hire a .5 FTE Archivist (the first college archivist) and we want to be strategic in preparing for the retirements of the next three staff members.  A plan will be prepared and shared with the advisory group sometime in the Spring of 2008.
      • The Future of the ILS (Integrated Library System) – our current ILS is CLICnet.  CLICnet is hosted at Macalester and is shared by eight institutions.  Mac is currently exploring as part of both CLIC and as part of a group of Minnesota private colleges (Carleton, St. Olaf, Gustavus, and St. John’s/St. Ben’s) what our future might look like with a different system.  Open source software presents new opportunities and possible directions that could help alleviate some of the constraints we have with our current commercial vendor.  Although previously there were cost savings by sharing the cost of a large system instead of implementing a single system for each institution, now there is much more flexibility and opportunities to connect separate systems in different ways.  This is a topic that we will be bringing to the group as we move forward.

        General discussion:  Some issues raised by the group included what was expected from the members.  Space planning was one of the issues that was of interest, and we agreed that the role of the group was to have discussions and ask questions to raise issues and help us make decisions.  For example, in terms of the President’s focus on “world class”, someone asked “is our library presently reflective of “world class” and what does that mean?  Is the library serving Macalester’s needs and can we make it better?  Are there items we would want on a “wish list.”  With our limited resources, is it realistic to be “world class”? 

        We also talked about the ILS.  Geographic proximity is no longer a requirement for an integrated system, but we did emphasize that resource sharing is a major component of our participation in the CLIC consortium, and this will continue to be a focus.  We are also members of MINITEX, the state-wide regional network that includes North Dakota and South Dakota.  The future of the ILS also affects staffing.  The role of technology and staff expertise is critical for all aspects of the work done by Library, Media, and Web Services and of critical importance is that in order to be successful, we need the support of ITS.
  1. Next Meeting time:

                  November 1, 10:00 – 11:30 – Campus Center

                      December 6, 10:00 – 11:30 – Campus Center

 

Meeting adjourned at 3:15

Submitted by Terri Fishel

       

 


Macalester College · 1600 Grand Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105  USA · 651-696-6000
Comments and questions to webmaster@macalester.edu