Bottled Water Free Policy – 9/11
When adopting the Sustainability Plan in 2009, Macalester College made official its commitment to being a leader in the implementation of sustainable collegiate practices. The College is committed to being a leader in the implementation of sustainable collegiate practices. By eliminating the sale and provision of bottled water on campus, Macalester demonstrates a focus on sustainability by promoting a healthy environment, social justice and a strong economy. The policy takes effect on September 1, 2011.
The elimination of plain, individual container bottled water on campus includes:
- the sale of bottled water in the Highlander, Grille and Scotties;
- the sale of bottled water by Catering and at athletic concessions;
- the inclusion in meal pack-outs for groups and individuals;
- the sale of bottled water in vending machines;
- the purchase of individual container bottled water with institutional funds.
Macalester will continue to:
- complete renovations to the Physical Plant, increasing accessibility of tap water in campus buildings;
- encourage use of permanent individual containers, providing when possible;
- provide jug water stations at large audience College events;
- offer alternate healthy drinks in pack-outs and vending machines;
- provide continued education around issues presented by the use of individual container bottled water.
Recommended by the Social Responsibility Committee
Approved by College Administration