- Employment Services
- Employment Opportunities
- Community Benefits
- Dependent Tuition Assistance (DTAP)
- Disability Insurance
- Domestic Partners
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Leaves of Absence
- Legal Plan (MetLaw)
- Life Insurance / AD&D
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Time Off Benefits
- Travel Assistance
- Wellness & Wellbeing
- Worker's Compensation
- Plan Documents, SPD's, & Notices
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Professional Development
- Student Employment
- Wellness & Wellbeing
77 Macalester Street, Room 201
Macalester provides the following insurance in the event of a qualifiying disability.
Contact Employment Services for enrollment and enrollment changes.
- Optional/ employee paid
- Macalester staff employees only (non-faculty)
Faculty see short term emergency leave
- Coverage for a period of less than 90 days of disability
- Standard for all .75 FTE or greater employees
- Fully Macalester paid
- Coverage for a period of greater than 90 days of disability
Macalester offers staff members an optional short‐term disability plan through Sun Life Financial. This plan is paid by you and intended to cover qualifying disabilities due to accidents and illnesses off the job. This plan provides total and partial disability protection (as defined in the contract) and is portable with the benefits not integrated with other income sources. Short Term Disability plan highlights include:
- You can design your own benefit to meet your needs
- “Buy What You Need” ‐ Purchase a weekly benefit up to a maximum amount of 60% of your salary or $1,500 per week.
|Choice 1||Choice 2||Choice 3|
|Injury Start Date||8 days||15 days||30 days|
|Sickness Start Date||8 days||15 days||30 days|
|Max Benefit Period||12 weeks||11 weeks||9 weeks|
- Decide when disability benefits caused by an accident/illness should begin.
- Benefits are paid for up to three (3) months for qualifying disabilities.
- Your premiums are deducted from your paycheck on a monthly basis.
Calculate Your Monthly Premium
First, choose your Choice level (1, 2, or 3) and then find your age bracket. Then use this formula:
$________ x $100 = $________
Coverage amount Monthly Cost
Examples: If you are 40 years of age, elect choice 1 (benefit begin on day 8) and a weekly benefit of $1,000, your monthly premium would be $30.50 ($0.305 x 100 = $30.50).
If you are 55 years of age, elect choice 2 (benefit begin on day 15) and a weekly benefit of $500, your monthly premium would be $15.95 ($0.319 x 50 = $15.95).
For More Information
Related Benefit Forms
Long-Term Disability Insurance
Macalester provides long‐term disability (LTD) insurance for you through Sun Life Insurance Company. Macalester pays 100% of the premium for you. Employees with full-time employee benefit status (0.75 FTE or greater) are automatically enrolled in the LTD program.
Long-Term Disability Plan Highlights
- Benefit waiting period is 90 days.
- Benefit amount is 60% of monthly earnings to $10,000 maximum per month (non-CBU employees). This amount could be reduced by deductible sources of income and disability earnings.
- Benefit for employees under a collective bargaining agreement (CBA) is 66 2/3% of monthly salary.
- Benefit duration is to age 67 when a qualifying disability occurs before age 62. Disabilities occurring after age 62 have limited benefit durations. Your certificate contains more detailed information.
- Some disabilities may not be covered and some disabilities may have limited coverage under this plan. Refer to your certificate for more information about plan limitations and exclusions.
- Rehabilitation and Return to Work Assistance: When you participate in this program as a disabled employee, an additional 10% of your gross disability payment may be paid to you up to $1,000 maximum per month.
- Dependent Care Expense Benefit: While participating in the Rehabilitation and Return to Work Assistance program, you may receive additional payments to cover certain dependent care expenses.