Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


Who should I contact in Employment Services if I have a question?

For general questions or if you don't know who to call, you can call the main Employment Services line at 651-696-6280 or email us at .

For specific ES staff members and areas of responsibility, see the staff list.

What should I do if I need to report an employment related accident on-campus or off-campus (Worker's Compensation Claims)?

For insurance reasons, it is important that all employment related injuries or incidents are reported to Employment Services (ES) within 24 hours of the injury/incident occurring. Please complete the Injury/Incident Report Form to report the injury/incident. Please have your supervisor review and sign your completed Injury/Incident Report Form. Questions can be directed to 651-696-6280 or .

In the event the accident occurs outside of regular ES office hours, please fax the report to 651-696-6612 or e-mail the report to .

Where do I find the form that I need?

See the Employment Services Forms page. Specific questions on how to complete a form can be directed to or the ES staff person responsible for the related process.


Benefit Plans & Open Enrollment FAQ
This list was developed to answer specific questions about Macalester's benefit plans and the open enrollment process (typically takes place during the month of November for changes effective on January 1st of the next plan year.)

Sabbatical Leaves
Questions about faculty sabbatical should be directed to the Provost and Dean of the Faculty.


Payroll for Faculty & Staff Paid Monthly
Payroll for Staff Paid Bi-Weekly
Payroll for Student Employees
These three FAQs address common payroll questions by audience.

Time Reporting
This FAQ provides information for employees who report time worked (hourly) or time taken as paid leave (salaried).

Tax for International Visitors
This FAQ provides information international visitors regarding U.S. tax and Macalester's process related to it.

Taxable Prize or Award/Gift Form
This FAQ addresses gifts or awards (using Macalester funds) given to students, faculty or staff and the tax implications and reporting requirements.

Student Employment

On-Campus Employers of Student Employees
This FAQ provides information related to hiring a student employee, paying a student employee, student employee evaluations, student employment work authorization forms, disciplinary action, non-aid student employment.

Student Employees or Prospective Student Employees
This FAQ details information about student employment eligibility, finding a job, changing jobs, pay rates, pay, student employee responsibilities, work/study award balance, summer employment, off-campus student employment, resident assistants, non-aid student employment.

Some departments maintain specific FAQs and policies for student employment in their specific areas.

Work/Study Awards are administered by Financial Aid. Contact Financial Aid for information related to applying for aid or changing aid amounts or status.
Financial Aid Office

Employment Policies

Employee Handbook
This handbook provides the official policy document for employment related issues for Macalester faculty and staff.

Student Employee Handbook
This handbook provides the official policy document for all student employment related issues.