Alumni Engagement in the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Department
Entrepreneurship and Innovation at Macalester is historically grounded in student and alumni driven initiatives designed to solve real world problems using the tool kit of entrepreneurship. The department offers students many opportunities in entrepreneurship, including coursework, internships, an accelerator program, community project funding, as well as the alumni founded initiatives Macathon and the Zia & Priti Fund for Innovation and Impact. At every stage of Entrepreneurship and Innovation’s programs, alumni empower students’ entrepreneurial journeys by sharing their stories, expertise and insights. Not only do alumni help students think strategically and creatively about their work, by sharing their stories Macalester alumni embody a variety of pathways to entrepreneurship and broad definitions of success, providing a dynamic roadmap for students.
Alumni are integral thought partners in designing Entrepreneurship and Innovation’s strategic direction, and in helping the department represent an authentic experience of entrepreneurship in an ever evolving landscape. We are grateful to have the partnership of an entrepreneurial Taskforce, made up of alumni representing a range of experiences and perspectives. A sincere thank you to the following alumni who have served on E&I’s Taskforce: Martha Danly ‘76 (Co-chair), Kate Ryan Reiling ’00 (Co-chair), Dan Rippy ‘89 (Alumni Board Retiree), Gloria Perez ‘88, Norman Praught ‘93, Peter Ahn ‘87 (Board of Trustees), TJ Mahony ‘99, Toni Symonds ‘83, Zia Yusuf ‘91, Steve Arnold ‘72.
Interested In Getting Involved?
There are many opportunities to get involved with Entrepreneurship and Innovation at Macalester. Below are a few ways alumni support the department:
- Mentor students during a Live It Fund project
- Judge and advise students during Macathon
- Host a summer MacNest intern at your startup
- Be a guest speaker for our summer student cohort
- Share stories in videos, social media or the Entrepreneurship newsletter
- Attend events and student showcases, like the Macathon final pitches
You can indicate interest in getting involved by filling out the Alumni Volunteer form or by emailing Rebecca Kline at [email protected]. We look forward to hearing from you!
Macalester Alumni Entrepreneurs and Innovators
Alumni represent innovation throughout professional fields, and they continue their commitment to Macalester’s values long after they graduate and start their own ventures. From technology startups to coffee roasters, alumni model incredible creativity and dedication that positively impact their businesses and organizations. Here are a few places you can hear alumni’s stories, support their businesses and join the community of Macalester Entrepreneurs and Innovators:
- Macalester Entrepreneurship Instagram
- Macalester Entrepreneurship Twitter
- Macalester Entrepreneurs and Innovators LinkedIn Group
- Macalester Entrepreneurs Facebook Group
- Macathon 2022 is a wrap
- Mac Entrepreneur: Mandi Masden ’08
- Entrepreneurial Alumni Storytelling Platform
- Innovating with Impact: Macalester Alumni Entrepreneur Panel, Reunion 2021
- Mac Entrepreneur: Samantha Strong ’98
- Second Act
- Bright Future
- Creative Enterprise
- Fred Swaniker, Founder of African Leadership University, to speak at Macalester Commencement
- Young Alumni Entrepreneurs
- Art Supplier