Leonard Center Room 53
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERAGE FOR 2014-2015
Macalester College requires ALL students show proof of comprehensive ACA-compliant personal health insurance coverage. Health insurance is NOT required to use the health and wellness services offered at the college but is needed for any care or service off-campus and to participate in intercollegiate athletics. All students are charged for the health insurance on their first tuition bill in July. Macalester students are required to show proof of their personal/family health insurance coverage for 2014-2015.
ALL STUDENTS (new & returning) MUST EITHER WAIVE OR ENROLL IN THE POLICY ONLINE BETWEEN JULY 1, 2014 and SEPTEMBER 5, 2014.
To complete this:
1. Visit Gallagher Koster (Aetna) Web Site and click on "Student Waive/Enroll". The Gallagher Koster site updates for 2014-2015 will be posted in July 2014. Check back frequently after July 1st.
2. Log in using your Macalester College email address as your User ID and your Macalester College Student ID as your password.
3. Select the "Petition to Waive" button. When waiving coverage, have your current health insurance ID card ready as you will need this information in order to complete the waiver form. Immediately upon submitting your online Waiver Form you will receive a confirmation number.
Cost for 2014-2015 is $2,164.00.
If students waive insurance before the July statement, the charges will be removed from the first statement; there may be a gap between the deadline to enroll/waive and the billing cycle and so the charge may show on your August statement even if you withdraw by the deadline. If students fail to either enroll or waive by 9/5/14, they will be considered enrolled and charges stay. We are happy to confirm your policy status for you if you have any questions.
Health Services strongly advises students to check their existing policy to determine if they meet the following requirements for Macalester:
- My plan provides unlimited coverage while in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
- My plan provides access to local doctors, specialists, hospitals and other health care providers in emergency and non-emergency situations in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
- My plan provides coverage for inpatient and outpatient hospitalizations in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
- My plan provides coverage for labwork, diagnostic x-rays, ambulance services, prescription medications, and athletic coverage in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
- My plan provides coverage for inpatient and outpatient mental health, substance abuse services in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
Health and wellness Center Charge Policy
When you are seen by one of our health care providers, you are not charged an office visit.
You will be charged for RX medications, lab/blood tests, vaccinations, and simple procedures. These charges are then billed to your account through the Student Accounts Office.
Itemized statements are available by signed request form from you, which is available at the HWC front desk. These itemized statements may be submitted to your own insurance company for reimbursement. If you are enrolled in the Aetna Student Health Plan through the college, these charges will be submitted to Aetna for you with reimbursement going to your student account in the Student Accounts Office.
Travel Insurance Information
Suggestions on addressing your health insurance and travel assistance needs. If you have the Aetna Student Health Policy, it provides excellent coverage for medical evacuation/repatriation and emergency return home in the case of death or serious illness of a parent or sibling.
Paying Medical Bills
You may have submitted those medical charges to insurance but until the insurance pays your health care provider, YOU are responsible! If you ignore the bills, they can send you to collection - not fun and hard on your credit rating. And even if your parents are the ones taking responsibility for those bills, if providers aren't paid, it is YOUR name that is on everything. Talk to the provider and if necessary, arrange for small monthly payments.