Leonard Center Room 53
College is expensive even with the best financial aid, savings, and summer jobs. It is tempting to assume that current family health insurance will provide adequate coverage for a usually healthy age group and to skip the cost of additional health insurance. But there are a number of reasons to consider purchasing/accepting the United Health student plan offered by Macalester.
Out of network limitations: Many health insurance plans substantially limit coverage when out of the geographic area or provider group. United Health has national coverage and the Twin Cities is well‐represented by United Health providers.
• Athletic coverage: Check your current plan to make sure it covers injuries sustained in athletic activities, as it is a common exclusion. The Macalester plan covers injuries sustained in intercollegiate, intramural, and club sports.
• The United Health plan includes travel assistance and worldwide medical coverage – this is in effect when the student is 100+ miles away from home. So, for many students, this would qualify just due to the distance they live from Macalester. This is a highly comprehensive plan that will even fly a family member to be with the student in qualified situations.
• Many families elect to purchase the United Health plan as a compliment to the family’s existing coverage; it can help to cover deductibles and co‐pay of another plan.
• There is only a $50 deductible per condition and all services provided at the Macalester Health & Wellness Center (HWC) are covered at 100 percent (Services charged for include: lab work, immunizations, vaccinations, physical exams, some treatments).
• An advocate for you in the HWC will submit claims directly to United Health for all charges incurred in the HWC and will assist students/families with any off‐campus United Health claims. Charges off-campus will be covered (in-network) generally at 80/20 with deductible. Please see policy for exclusions/details.
• The cost for 2015-2016 insurance is $2,183 for 12 months of coverage. Not everyone will need this policy, but families should look carefully at their current health insurance policy and determine what will provide the best coverage for their student while at Macalester.
**ALL students must either accept or waive (or opt out of) the United Health student plan online before September 4, 2015. The charge automatically goes on your first bill; if you waive by the deadline, it will be removed in the next billing period.
Visit Gallagher-Koster website for detailed information. .
If you have questions, feel free to send them to Sue Rothenbacher, firstname.lastname@example.org.