Institute for Global Citizenship Student Council (IGCSC) Charter
Original Document: September 2007
Reviewed Most Recently: February 2010
IGC Mission to encourage, promote and support rigorous learning that prepares students for lives as effective and ethical "global citizen-leaders"; innovative scholarship that enriches the public and academic discourse on important issues of global significance; and meaningful service that enhances such learning and/or scholarship while enriching the communities within which Macalester is embedded.
IGC Student Council Mission is to support the vision of the IGC by empowering Macalester students to engage with others in exploring meaningful understandings and expressions of global citizenship. Together with Macalester faculty, staff and alumni we seek to inspire visions and actions for a more ethical and just world.
The IGCSC serves as a planning committee for student-initiated projects, a source for student initiatives and representation in the IGC programs and committees, and a vehicle for an exchange of ideas and information among the IGC leadership, students and the college at large.
Article 1) Membership and Meeting
- The Student Council will consist of no more than 15 members each year.
- It will be composed in part of standing representatives nominated by students or faculty and staff and confirmed by the bodies they represent. Representatives include one member from the following (in no particular order):
- Civic Engagement Center
- International Students’ Issues
- Domestic Diversity Issues and Multicultural Life
- Campus Environmental Issues
- Multifaith Council
- Student Athletes Advisory Committee
- Macalester College Student Government
- Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Issues
Article 2) Member Duties
- Liaison(s) to the Campus Advisory Board - serves on the IGC Campus Advisory Board and meets regularly with advisor(s) to prepare for meetings and general planning.
- Meeting facilitator – brings meeting to order and provides direction for weekly meetings.
- Minute-taker(s) and Membership Manager(s)—duties include careful note taking of every meeting and sending minutes to email list. If a meeting is missed the minute taker shall be responsible for finding a replacement in advance. Duties also include keeping attendance, keeping track of which bodies are represented, and working with representative groups to ensure participation.
- Treasurer(s)—duties include managing funds, signatory power, and keeping the Council updated on the status of monetary resources.
- Publicity Coordinator(s)—leads the effort to promote Student Council programming on campus through various publicity methods.
- All positions will be formally approved by the members but are voluntary in nature. Should a volunteer not step up, a nomination process should proceed. Nominees may refuse nominations.
- Representatives to outside committee or sub-committees will be volunteer-based and formally approved by the members.
Article 3) Quorum, Decision Making, and Amending the Charter
- Quorum will be attained if 70% of the IGCSC membership is present.
- Decision-making will be made by unanimous consent and all members will be part of the decision-making process. If unanimous consent cannot be achieved, decisions will be made by a supermajority (75% of the votes).
• Members may vote for, against, or abstain during any movement and shall maintain the respect of other members.
- All meetings shall be publicand subsequently all movements shall be open to suggestions. The charter will be amended by unanimous consent, or failing that by a hyper-majority (80% of the votes).
Article 4) Relationship with the IGC
- The Student Council shall serve as a liaison between the student body, other IGC committees, and the deans of the Institute. It shall be committed to making significant contributions to the IGC and ensuring that IGC programming supports student initiatives and is accountable to student concerns.
- The Student Council affirms its agency and collective responsibility with other IGC bodies in advancing global citizenship through the Institute. The IGCSC has equal voice to other relevant bodies of the Institute in jointly defining, advancing and supporting global citizenship at Macalester College.
- In the spirit of collaboration, and where appropriate, all major decisions made by the IGC shall be discussed with the Student Council prior to implementation, and the Student Council will give feedback and recommendations. Likewise, appropriate, substantive decisions made by the Student Council will be discussed with all representatives within the IGC prior to implementation. The IGC bodies will be able to comment and advise changes before the Student Council makes a final decision.
- The student council shall have a discretionary fund ($2000 for 2012/13) accessible to them from the Dean of the IGC. This fund is intended to pilot initiatives and other independent student projects that further the mission of the IGC. Advisors (an Associate Dean of the IGC and Dean of Multicultural Life) will work with the council to ensure that this fund is spent in accordance with the goals and visions of the Institute and the policies of the college.
Article 5) Sunset Clause
- Amendments to this charter shall be approved in accordance to decision-making process in Article 3.
- This charter shall be reviewed and revised on a yearly basis, or when absolutely necessary as specified in Article 3.
Note: Regularly attending = attend at least three times a month, cannot miss back-to-back. Attendance will be tracked in the meeting notes.