Markim Hall, Second Floor
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m.-noon
We support intellectual and cultural engagement through study away, as an enduring part of a liberal arts education. We strive to ensure that study away experiences reflect the core values of Macalester College – scholarship, internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
We pursue our mission by
- Investigating and evaluating study away programs to identify those that best serve the values of the college.
- Advising students to make informed choices in selecting programs that provide a good match between their educational goals and preparation and academic quality and cultural experience in study away programs.
- Maintaining a small number of Macalester-run study abroad programs and exchanges with foreign universities.
- Keeping a Recommended List of high-quality study away programs.
- Communicating regularly with faculty and college administration.
- Engaging students in discussion about study abroad and the liberal arts.
- Participating in study abroad professional organizations, such as NAFSA, CIEE, The Forum on Education Abroad, ACM, and others.
- Promoting student academic achievement abroad through returnee forums.
About 60% of students study away as part of their Macalester education.
In 2013-2014, 273 Macalester students studied abroad. They participated in 140 different programs, studied 26 languages, and studied in 55 countries on every continent except Antarctica.