Markim Hall, Second Floor
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m.-noon
We seek for our students to find both intellectual attainment and cultural engagement in off-campus study; for these to form an enduring part of their liberal arts education; and for their off-campus experiences to serve the core values of Macalester College – scholarship, internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
We pursue our mission by
- Investigating and evaluating off-campus study programs to identify those that best serve the values of the college.
- In advising students, seeking to find the best match of students' interests and preparation with academic quality and cultural experience in off-campus study programs.
- Maintaining a small number of Macalester-run study abroad programs and exchanges with foreign universities.
- Keeping a Recommended List of high-quality off-campus study programs.
- Communicating regularly with faculty and college administration.
- Engaging students in discussion about study abroad and the liberal arts.
- Participating in study abroad professional organizations, such as NAFSA, CIEE, The Forum on Education Abroad, ACM, and others.
- Promoting student academic achievement abroad through returnee forums.
About 60% of students pursue off-campus studies as part of their Macalester education.
During the 2011-2012 academic year, 326 Macalester students studied off-campus in 60 countries.