Markim Hall, Second Floor
Since 1995, the International Center and the Dean of the Institute for Global Citizenship have executed eight Faculty Development International Seminars throughout the world. Seminars have engaged participants in an intensive intellectual and cross-cultural experience based in locations such as Brazil, Turkey, Israel & Occupied Palestinian Territories, and most recently, the Netherlands.
On a bi-annual basis, FDIS have engaged 10 to 15 Macalester faculty and staff in a three-week intensive learning and independent study program overseas, preceded by on-campus readings and guests lectures. Following the seminar, participants present research findings to the Macalester community. The future of these seminars is being considered by Macalester senior staff; no new seminars are currently being planned.
Request full descriptions from the Institute for Global Citizenship
Previous Faculty Development International Seminars include:
- 2010 - "Global Citizenship: Human Rights, Urban Diversity & Environmental Challenges"
- 2008 - "The Israeli-Palestinian Impasse"
Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
- 2006 - "Chinese Worlds: Multiple Temporalities and Transformations"
Taiwan and China
- 2004 - "Hybrid Geographies in the Eastern Mediterranean: A View from the Bosphorus"
- 2002 - "Malaysia: Crossroads of Diversity in Southeast Asia"
- 2000 – "Transformation and Multiculturalism in the New Millennium”
- 1997 – “Landscape, Culture and Globalization: Views from Brazil”
- 1995 – “Transition and Globalization in Central and Eastern Europe” -