Research and IRB

International Center
Markim Hall, Second Floor
651-696-6129 fax

LinkedIn blogger

Academic-Year Hours
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Summer Hours
Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m.-noon

Many Macalester students do research while studying off-campus. In order to ensure that this research meets Macalester standards, students are required to complete an online module. If they plan to use the research upon return to Macalester, they must also have approval from an appropriate Institutional Review Board.

If you are planning to do research while on an off-campus program with human or animal subjects:

  1. You must complete an online certification module that covers appropriate research practices. Soon after your Proposal for Off-Campus Study has been approved, you should receive information on how to complete this module via email. If you do not receive this email, please contact the International Center. This must be done prior to leaving campus the semester before you go abroad.
  2. Decide if you want to use this research upon return to Macalester. Many students choose to use research done on an off-campus program for a paper or project at Macalester. This could take the form of a senior capstone, honors project, or any other work.

    If you do not want to use your research from abroad at Macalester, simply follow the guidelines of your study abroad program. However, you cannot change your mind and later seek IRB approval once the research has begun. If you do not have IRB approval, you will not be able to use any research done off-campus for a paper or project at Macalester.

If you want to bring back your research to Macalester (or think you might):

  1. Determine if your off-campus study program has an IRB that is recognized by Macalester.
    If you are unsure, contact the International Center.

  2. If your program has an IRB recognized by Macalester, follow the procedures of your program's IRB. Currently, SIT is the only program whose IRB has been recognized by Macalester. Keep a copy of your research proposal and any response you receive from your program (approval letter, email, etc.). Send this information to the International Center either while you are abroad or immediately upon your return to campus. These documents will be kept in your file at the International Center.

  3. If your off-campus study program does not have an IRB that is recognized by Macalester, then you will need to go through Macalester's Study Abroad Institutional Review Board (SAIRB). You will need to complete the SAIRB Research Questionnaire and send it, along with any supporting materials, to . This should be done after your off-campus study program begins and at least 1-2 weeks before you want to begin your research. This will give SAIRB enough time to review your proposal. Any questions should be directed to the Study Abroad Advisor or Director of the International Center.

SAIRB Research Questionnaire PDF)
SAIRB Research Questionnaire (Word document)
SAIRB Sample Disclosure Form (PDF)
SAIRB Sample Disclosure Form (Word document)