Kagin Commons, First Floor
Academic Year Hours
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Internships are an integral part of a Macalester College liberal arts education. The Academic Internship Program facilitates structured, off-campus, learning-work experiences for students in a wide range of community organizations in the Twin Cities and around the world. Internships help students integrate theory and knowledge gained in the classroom with real world applications that develop professional skills, increase confidence, and heighten career awareness.
The objectives for the Academic Internship Program are:
- To provide opportunities for students to examine first-hand knowledge and theories learned in the classroom for their wider impact on society and the world at large.
- To provide opportunities for students to evaluate and apply a body of knowledge and methods of inquiry from an academic discipline.
- To provide students access to a larger or different "laboratory" of equipment and/or situations not easily obtained or available on campus.
- To provide students expanded opportunities for self-directed learning.
- To enable students to develop work competencies for specific professions and to explore career interests and form professional networks.
- To provide opportunities for students to develop intellectual and professional partnerships.
Students are also encouraged to participate in:
- Volunteer work in the community coordinated through the Civic Engagement Center and various student organizations;
- Service learning activity or community-based research connected to coursework;
- Classes that have structured internship experiences embedded into the course design;
- Informal non-credit internships or work experiences that provide valuable, relevant experience, but that do not earn academic credit;
- International, study abroad programs that may incorporate an experiential component or independent internship.
- Help finding an internship
- Resume development
- Interview skills
- Registering for academic credit
- Evaluating the internship