Hiring International Students

When offering an unpaid position to an international student, no further paperwork is required beyond the Learning Contract.

Obtaining authorization for international students to work in the U.S. is not as difficult as many employers think.  Most international students are in the U.S. on non-immigrant visas (F-1 & J-1), and these students are eligible to accept employment in the U.S. under certain conditions. International students in college can receive paid employment through Curriculum Practical Training.

When hiring F-1 students for a paid position, the student, school and Immigration will handle most necessary paperwork.   Employers will need to complete the same forms required when hiring domestic students, namely the I-9 and filing for taxes.  Visit the International Students Program for more information.  

Our Process:

  • Complete Internship Learning Contract with student
  • The student brings the completed Learning Contract, their I-20 and their passport/ID to the International Students Program for CPT authorization
  • Authorization will be completed in 24 hours  

What you need to know when hiring International Students:  

Practical training is a legal means by which an F-1 students can obtain paid employment in areas related to their field of study. Usually, students must have completed an academic year (nine months) on an F-1 visa and must maintain legal F-1 status to be approved for curricular practical training.

A step by step instruction of how to complete an I-9.  For further information read here.

Unless exempted by a tax treaty, F-1 students earning income through any practical training are subject to applicable federal, state, and other local income taxes. Information on tax treaties may be found in IRS Publication 519, US Tax Guide for Aliens, and 901, US Tax Treaties. Generally, F-1 students are exempted from Medicare and social security requirements. However, if the student is considered a "resident alien," then Medicare and social security taxes apply. For more details on this subject please download the original NAFSA PDF file or contact the Superintendent of Documents' website.