Registering an Internship for Credit

Academic Internships must be approved by the Internship Program Director prior to being registered for credit.  

Registration Deadlines:

Fall or Spring terms - The last day to register an internship for credit is the Add/Drop deadline for that semester. A one-week extension may be granted by the Internship Program for those students who need more time to finalize arrangements for an internship “in process”.

January/Interim term - The last day of the Spring term pre-registration period (usually in early December).

Summer term - The last day to register an internship is May 17th, but you may extend the deadline as late as June 1st with permission of the Internship Program.

Required documentation

  1. Fill out the Internship Learning Contract online and submit the form.
    • Once submitted, a printable version of your Learning Contract will be emailed to you within one business day.
    • Gather necessary signatures and return it to the Internship Program for final approval from the Internship Program Director.
    Remember to include:
    • Position Description (if there is none, use the template located on our website)
    • Supervisor’s Business Card/Letterhead (something with contact information in print)
  2. ADD/DROP form – The Internship Program Director will sign this once all paperwork is complete. You can then take take it to the Registrar's office.

    Please note: All students registering an internship for academic credit will be required to complete a brief (15 minute) online orientation. Once your forms have been submitted and approved you will receive an email with information on how to access the online orientation course. 

    January/Summer Additional Documentation Required by the Registrar
    3. January/Summer Registration Form (signed by you, faculty sponsor, and Internship Program)
    4. If your internship is taking place outside of the Twin Cities you and your parents will need to complete the Student/Parent Waiver form.

Hours Required for Credit

The minimum number of hours worked per week at the internship site in relation to registered credits is as follows:
Fall-Spring-Summer Internships    (Internships must last a minimum of a ten-week period)
4 credits = A minimum of 140 hours per semester or 10-12 hours per week
3 credits = A minimum of 105 hours per semester or 8-9 hours per week
2 credits = A minimum of 75 hours per semester or 5-7 hours per week
1 credit = A minimum of 45 hours per semester or 3-4 hours per week

January Internships   (Minimum of three weeks)
2 credits = 100 hours per semester or approx. 40 hours per week
1 credit = 50 hours per semester or approx. 20 hours per week

View Macalester's academic calendar

Registration Guidelines for Academic Internships

(from the 2012-2013 Macalester College Catalog):

  • No more than twenty-four semester credits earned in independent study courses (tutorials, independent projects, internships, preceptorships, honors independents) may be applied toward the number of semester credits required for graduation.
  • Students may not register in a single term for more than six semester hours of internship credit which take place outside of the Twin Cities area, or for more than four semester hours of credit for a single internship in the Twin Cities.
  • The Learning Contract:
    • Must be completed with supporting documentation for each separate internship experience
    • It must be reviewed/signed by the faculty sponsor and Internship Program Director before it may be registered for credit.
  • Students who may not register an internship for academic credit:
    • first year students
    • students on academic probation
    • students with in-completes (unless they have the permission of the instructor who assigned the incomplete)


To drop or withdraw from an internship after the Add/Drop deadline has passed, students must obtain the faculty sponsor’s signature and the signature of the Internship Program Director. (Refer to the College Catalog section on Dropping and Withdrawing From Courses for more detailed information.)

special guidelines for International students

If you are an international student on an F-1 visa status, you may need authorization by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) before you can work.

Unpaid Internships: You should consult with the International Student Program to see if the experience might be considered employment by immigration and labor standards.

Paid Internships: You will need authorization from the Department of Homeland Security. Your best option is to register your internship for academic credit so you may participate in Curricular Practice Training (CPT). See details below. 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

  • CPT is an authorization for a paid internship for which you are receiving credit.
  • CPT is only available during your 4 years at Mac. 
  • You must re-apply for CPT before every paid internship.
  • There is no limit to part-time CPT (less than 20 hours/week). However, a student who does 12 months of full-time CPT forfeits all his/her OPT time. Don't worry; it is unusual to do 12 months of full time CPT. 
  • CPT should be done in coordination with the Internship Program, an academic supervisor, and the work site.

International students completing a paid summer internship are eligible for a 1-credit tuition fee waiver (tuition for Summer 2014 was $1,411 per credit). This waiver is intended to help students who are required to register for credit in order to complete their paid/unpaid summer internship. This is applicable to international students doing paid internships (as required by the Department of Homeland Security), or students doing internships whose internship site requires them to receive credit as a condition of employment. Contact Mike Porter at or 651.696.6251 for details.

In order to start a paid internship, you need a CPT authorization from the U.S. Government. This checklist will enable you to track your progress towards a lawful and rewarding internship: 

  • Pick up a registration handout from the Internship Program Office (Kagin 1st floor). This handout will outline the internship process. You may also find this info on our registration page
  • Complete your Learning Contract  FULLY, including all signatures.
  • Turn in the Learning Contract and a Position Description to the Internship Program Office. They will give you a copy of the Learning Contract for visa verification.
  • Take your complete Add/Drop slip (or summer registration slip) to the Registrar's Office.
  • Take a copy of your Learning Contract, your I-20, and your passport/ID to the International Student Programs Office for CPT application. As soon as the complete papers are in, authorization will be completed in approximately 24 hours.

For DHS applications and immigration related questions, contact Aaron Colhapp, Director of International Student Programs, at 651.696.6078 or or Luyen Phan, Assistant Director of International Student Programs, at 651-696-6078 or