Kagin Commons First Floor
The International Student Programs Department at Macalester serves the educational and personal development needs of its diverse international student body. This involves integrating international students into all aspects of college life, helping them participate in and contribute to Macalester's high quality liberal arts education, and assisting them to apply their learning to their own lives and cultural contexts. This also means helping create an intellectually and culturally supportive environment among students, faculty and staff, and assisting the college and the community gain from the presence of students from different countries and cultures.
The International Student Programs Department carries out the U.S. government-mandated functions that allow Macalester to issue documents for international students to attend the college. This function includes assisting international students in maintaining their legal status and access to resources and opportunities allowed by U.S. law.
Goals of International Student Programs:
- Excellence in academic achievement
- Effectiveness in interpersonal relations across cultures
- Group and task effectiveness across cultures
- Retention, graduation and continued involvement with Macalester
- Successful re-integration and application of the Macalester education in home countries and cultures (or application and further adaptation of this education in the United States)