Kagin Commons, First Floor
+1 651-696-6806 fax
How do I get a Social Security Number (SSN)?
Replace a lost or missing Social Security Card (SSC)?
Change incorrect information on my SSC?
To do any of the above, you must go in person to the Social Security Card Center located in Minneapolis. The hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; they are closed on U.S. Federal holidays. It is often more busy on Mondays and Fridays; Wednesdays are typically the best days and be prepared to wait in line, and try to get there before 2:30 p.m. as they may close door if you are not already in line by that time. You must bring with you the following:
- I-20 (or DS-2019)
- I-94 (Can be retrieved online at this link)
- Completed SS-5 Form
- Supervisor and DSO Attestations Form (on letterhead) stating:
- Title of your on-campus job
- Number of hours you work
- Date you started working
- Your supervisor's contact information and signature
- DSO confirmation of your F1 student status
After Submitting Your Social Security Application
- Request a Receipt Letter from the Social Security official (proof that you applied and contact information if you have problems)
- Wait 1-3 weeks for your SSC to arrive
- After you receive your card you will need to update the following:
- Log into GLACIER and update your profile with your SSN and print up the required forms, bring your SSC and forms to Mac's Employment Service Office at 77 Mac and the person named on the form, Louise Schultz.
- If you have U.S. bank account, share your SSN with your respective bank.
Location of the Social Security Card Center
The Twin Cities Card Center
1811 Chicago Avenue, Suite 2 - Minneapolis, MN 55404 Map