Family Invitation Letter Request

Request Form - If you would like International Student Programs to write a Letter of Invitation for your family to visit you in the U.S.
Note: This service is only available to students of Macalester College.

What kind of visa should my family obtain to visit me?

Family members (except your spouse and/or children) wishing to visit the US must apply for a "tourist" (B1/B2) visa at the U.S. embassy in their home countries.

What should I have with me, for my visa application process?

Invitation letter from you should include:

  • Your name and the reason for your living in the U.S.
  • The names of your family members who wish to visit and the purpose of their visit.
  • The duration of their visit.
  • If you are providing room and board or any other form of financial assistance, please be sure to state that as well.

Evidence of Funding:

  • If you are providing room and board or any other specific form of financial assistance, such as airfare, you should supply evidence of your source(s) of funding in the form of bank statements or letters from employers. Even though there is no set minimum amount required, it is recommended that you indicate a reasonable amount reflecting the level of support you are providing.
  • If your family members are funding the trip themselves, it is also recommended that they carry with them Bank statements, Employee verifications and/or other relevant documents to prove that they have sufficient funding for this trip.

Evidence of your status in the US;

  • You should provide your family members with a copy of your I-20 and other relevant documents verifying your status in the U.S.

Evidence of intent to return home;

  • Your family members must prove that they will return home after visiting you in the U.S. So, it is recommended that they carry with them for their visa interview, documents showing employment, property ownership, enrollment in any educational institute.

For more information please visit the following site:

U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs