- Help Desk
- Accounts & Services
- Hardware & Software
- Internet & Telephone
- Labs & Classrooms
- Safe Computing
- About ITS
Neill Hall 314
To make a smooth transition from student to Macalester alum, review the information about the lifespan of your Mac email, docs, stored files, and other Google Apps accounts.
How to keep the data you’ve accumulated as a student
Your Macalester accounts (e.g., Google Apps, 1600grand, Moodle, etc.) will be closed as of the last day to add/drop/audit a fall class. If you have email and data in your Macalester Google Apps account or files stored in your personal folder that you want to save, make sure you retrieve them before your accounts are closed by following the steps in the ITS Graduates Techlist.
✓ Move Macalester email
✓ Forward Macalester email
✓ Macalester’s online alumni community: MacDirect
✓ Transfer ownership of Google Drive files and Sites
✓ Download Google Apps data from Blogger, Google+, Picasa
✓ Save fileserver and web files
✓ Check other services for files worth keeping
- Email posts from campus distribution lists, including Studentfirstname.lastname@example.org and ITS-Alerts-Student@lists.macalester.edu, will continue to be sent to your Macalester account until it closes.
- Keep in touch. Join Macalester’s online alumni community MacDirect. Update your email address by editing your Contact tab. While you're there, update your mailing address and phone number too. You can also email contact info updates to email@example.com.
- Forward your macalester.edu email to another account. Email will be forwarded until your account is closed. Existing email will not be forwarded. Email forwarding instructions
- Use Google’s Mail Fetcher tool to copy your existing email to another Gmail account. It can take up to a week to migrate all your mail, so don’t wait to start moving it! Mail Fetcher instructions
GOOGLE DRIVE, SITES, AND OTHER GOOGLE SERVICES
- Use Google Takeout to create an archive with your data from Google products.
- Before changing the owner of Google Docs to another Macalester or Gmail account, be sure to archive or copy any documents you want to keep. Learn how to share a non-Macalester Gmail account as doc owner or Change the ownership of Google Docs to Macalester account
- Google Sites allows multiple owners so go ahead and add additional Gmail accounts as owners to prevent a Site's deletion. Google Sites access level instructions
- Google+ (Picasa web albums and photos, your Google profile, Google Contacts, and Stream) data can be download using Google Takeout
- Blogger supports multiple administrators so be sure to make your personal Gmail account an Admin for any blog you want to keep. Move a blog between accounts instructions
FILESERVER AND WEB FILES
- Copy any files from shared drives (the H:, G:, and M: drives) to another medium, including a flash drive, external hard drive, CD, webstorage, etc.