- Help Desk
- Accounts & Services
- Hardware & Software
- Internet & Telephone
- Labs & Classrooms
- Safe Computing
- About ITS
To make a smooth transition from student to Macalester alum, review the information about the lifespan of your Mac email, docs, stored files, and other Google Apps accounts.
How to keep the data you’ve accumulated as a student
Your Macalester accounts (e.g., Google Apps, 1600grand, Moodle, etc.) will be closed as of the last day to add/drop/audit a fall class. The deadline for the Class of 2013 is Monday, September 16, 2013. If you have email and data in your Macalester Google Apps account or files stored in your personal folder that you want to save, make sure you retrieve them before your accounts are closed by following the steps in the ITS Graduates Techlist.
ITS Graduates Techlist
✓ Move and forward Macalester email
✓ Transfer ownership of Google Drive files and Sites
✓ Download Google Apps data from Blogger, Google+, Picasa
✓ Save fileserver and Web files
✓ Check other services for files worth keeping
- Email posts from campus distribution lists, including Studentfirstname.lastname@example.org and ITS-Alerts-Student@lists.macalester.edu, will continue to be sent to your Macalester account until it closes.
- Forward your macalester.edu email to another account automatically. Email will be forwarded until your account is closed. Existing email will not be forwarded. Email forwarding instructions
- Consider registering for a MacDirect email forwarding service available to graduates at no cost from the Alumni Office. MacDirect provides a lifetime email forwarding service using an @alumni.macalester.edu address. MacDirect details
- Use Google’s Mail Fetcher tool to copy your existing email to another Gmail account. It can take up to a week to migrate all your mail, so don’t wait to start moving it! Mail Fetcher instructions
- Use an email client to save messages to your own computer. Email client instructions
GOOGLE DRIVE, SITES, AND OTHER GOOGLE SERVICES
- Should other Macalester students, faculty or staff need to continue sharing Google Drive files you own, be sure to change the owner to another Macalester or Gmail account. Learn how to share a non-Macalester Gmail account as doc owner or Change the ownership of Google Docs to Macalester account
- Create and download an archive of your Google Drive docs with Google Takeout to take them with you wherever you go.
- Google Sites allows multiple owners so go ahead and add additional Gmail accounts as owners to prevent a Site's deletion. Google Sites access level instructions
- Google+ (Picasa Web albums and photos, your Google profile, Google Contacts, and Stream) data can be download using Google Takeout
- Blogger supports multiple administrators so be sure to make your personal Gmail account an Admin for any blog you want to keep. Move a blog between accounts instructions
FILESERVER AND WEB FILES
- Copy any files from the Academic fileserver (the H:, G:, and M: drives) to another medium, including a flash drive, external hard drive, CD, Webstorage, etc.
- Copy any files located in your public.www folder to another medium to keep them.