Baseline Technology Recommendations
Macalester does not require students to have their own computers. Your computer should meet or exceed the following technology recommendations to fully access Macalester's information resources.
- System memory: 4 GB required minimum; 8 GB or more recommended
- Computer Operating systems: Mac OS X 10.8 required minimum; Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks or newer preferred | Windows Vista required minimum; Windows 7 or newer preferred
- Wireless: 802.11g or 802.11n wireless and WPA2 authentication
- Backup strategy: Use an external hard drive, thumb drive, Google Drive, Macalester Network Drive, or cloud storage | Backup Information
- Laptop cable lock: Use a cable lock to prevent opportunistic theft.
- Know serial number of valuables: Start using this serial number tracker template (gsheet) to record serial numbers of all your valuables.
- Don't bring: Wireless printers, routers or other networking devices. ITS routinely blocks these devices from the Macalester network.