Macalester does not require students to have their own computers. If you plan to bring a computer to campus, it should meet or exceed these 'baseline' recommendations so that you can fully access all of Macalester's information resources:
- System RAM: 4 GB or more recommended.
- Operating System: Apple Mac OSX 10.5 (minimum) or later; Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Microsoft Vista (minimum), Microsoft Windows 7 (recommended).
- Wireless card for laptops: Must support 802.11b or 802.11g wireless and WPA2 authentication (most new laptops will work fine).
- Master disks: Bring all the system CDs/DVDs that came with your computer, as well as for all of your software. These may be needed to repair problems.
- Lock: Bring a security cable to lock your computer down.
- Backup disk: Consider bringing an external hard drive in order to back up your data.
- Do not bring wireless printers, routers and other networking devices with you to campus. We do not support these, and we will block them from our network if they cause problems.