- DeWitt Wallace Library
- About Us
- Digital Initiatives
- For Faculty
- Technology Support
- Staff Directory
DeWitt Wallace Library
Search the Library Website
Implications of Public Policy
Current legislation on copyright, fair use, as well as open access for federally funded research, is monitored closely. Impacts on higher education are such that all members of the community should be aware of implications current legislation has on sharing research and making information accessible.
Federally Funded Research
NIH Mandate, effective April 7, 2008
"Effective April 7, 2008, the agency requires investigators to deposit their articles stemming from NIH funding in the NIH online archive." ARL NIH Public Access Policy, Guide.
Previously introduced in 2006 and 2005 under different names and sponsors to make mandatory any research funded by NIH to be made available in an open access archive within one year of publication.
In the News
- Los Angeles Times Editorial Los Angeles Times Editorial on NIH Proposed Policy
- Momentum for Open Access, Inside Higher Ed
- For information on the Federal Research Public Access Act (2006):
- Letter signed by 53 Liberal Arts Presidents in Inside Higher Education
- "The Next Big Library Legislative Issue" in American Libraries, Sep2006, Vol. 37 Issue 8, p30-32 (available via EbscoHost)
- NIH Proposal and Letter to Faculty (Macalester Information)
- New England Journal of Medicine Editorial, May 2, 2005 , on new NIH policy on public access for federal funded research projects