email@example.com Academic-Year Hours
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m.-12:00 noon
Worthy Questions provides students with new ground and field of vision for exploring questions emerging in their college experience. Questions that have the power to make a difference motion us into boundary situations, past familiar explanations and categories, into the flow of possibilities and expanding horizons for discovery, understanding, and critical valuation of convictions:
- Who am I, where do I belong, what is the status of the “self” in the modern world?
- How does imagination/possibility frame our templates of understanding?
- In the speed and velocity of life, what is sustainable time and how do we live it?
- What is it to hope?
- How do I choose? How do I decide?
- Who or what comprises the “public” and how does it meet the “private?”
- Do I view my iPhone as a tool, a value, and/or a culture?
Such questions ultimately question our human task. We find ourselves off-balance, searching our way through the question to recapture balance, or to spring forward into some new balance that will itself remain momentary and provisional. And through reflection circles, retreats, case studies from student lives and wider cultural currents, participants will explore who they are becoming and what is worthy of their commitment.
Student participants bring worthy questions to the circle, distilled from personal “case studies” that have significantly shaped their ongoing sense of self, meaning, and exploration of life commitments. These will alternate with meetings shaped by staff questions culled from wider cultural currents. Guest staff and faculty from a range of disciplines may join as resources for reflection.
- This year-long program is open to sophomores, juniors and seniors.
- Program will meet every other week, on Tuesday evenings from 7-8:30 p.m.
- An overnight retreat will be held fall semester.
- Program may incorporate field trips or service work if the group desires.
- Student attendance at all gatherings is expected.
- Among staff facilitating the group are Lisa Landreman and Eily Marlow.
For more information, email Eily Marlow at firstname.lastname@example.org .