Welcome New Students!
You are invited to join our engaged community of learners through MacReads, our common reading program. Reading and sharing ideas with others is central to the college learning experience. Through the MacReads program we introduce you to this process and some of our shared values: critical engagement with ideas, dialogue with members of the Macalester community, internationalism, multiculturalism, and reflection on what it means to be an active, responsible global citizen.
What should I expect?
1. A paper copy of the book has been mailed to every incoming new student along with a letter. We do expect all students to read the book prior to coming to college in August.
2. A Moodle course has been created and information sent to all incoming students on how to log into the course.
3. Online discussions will take place during the summer and additional content will be added to the Moodle course related to the library sessions for all first years and the library session for transfer students.
4. During Orientation there will be a discussion of the book by faculty at the MacReads Convocation during orientation week.
5. Discussion of the book in small groups during Orientation.
6. Use of the book in library and ITS sessions for all first year courses.