Ruth Stricker Dayton Campus Center, Room 235
Meeting Summaries: Fall 2016
Bon Appetit now offers catering for student orgs at lowered prices. No surcharge if picked up at the Grill.
Intramurals have not started yet this semester. MCSG is working with the Athletics and other department to figure out the issue.
Lecture Coordination Board Fall Speaker announced–Derreck Kayongo. Derreck Kayongo is the current CEO of the National Center for Civil and Human Rights and the founder of the Global Soap Project. He works in the areas of public health and environmental sustainability. The event scheduled on Thursday, the 3rd of November from 7-9:30 pm in the Kagin Ballroom.
- New student representatives on Campus Committees
- Zachary Skluzacek and Madrigal von Muchow for Student Employment Advisory Committee
- Sa In (Shine) Chin for the Library and Media Services Advisory Committee
Board of Trustees Updates:
Kirk and Dupre– during winter break,
Theater building’s renovation will have started by 2019
Issues that MCSG reps brought up for the Board of Trustees:
Student Space (asked to consider more space for students and more student input in the decision-making)
Test Optional admissions
- All student reps for the Board will meet on Friday, Oct. 14 to continue developing strategy for MCSG/Board of Trustees engagement
- Coffee & Donuts Event on Saturday, Oct. 15th at 11 am.
- Macalester starts the Capital fundraising campaign which will focus on Access & Excellence (increase financial aid, endowed professorship, etc.)
- Dare 2 Dream is now officially chartered. D2D advocates for the educational access rights of undocumented students. Contact Crisol Clemente for more information: email@example.com
- Mac G.O.P submitted a charter for MCSG approval. Mac G.O.P intends to represent and promote student involvement and awareness of Republican platforms and candidates. Macalester G.O.P. seeks to promote student awareness and participation in upholding, examining and questioning the value of our political society.
- IGC Dean search continues. Now narrowed down to three candidates.
7. FAC UpdateApproved budget for Europa $400.00.
- Ballroom Dance $350.00 for weekly meeting space rental.
8. SSRC Update
- Discussing the importance of respectful dialogue across diverse opinions on campus.
9. PB Updates
- Bonfire on the Shaw Field this Saturday
- Students encouraged to apply for open positions on Student Committees
- Dare to Dream (D2D) submitted a Charter. D2D advocates for the educational access rights of undocumented students at Mac and beyond
- MASECA $2012.00 budget approved 27-0.
- Coffee & Donuts planned for October 15th
- Working to expand textbook reserve program
- Laying groundwork for Alumni Fair
- Thinking about Electronic Course Evaluation
- Working to explain subsidized bus passes (currently available at the info desk for purchase and at CEC for volunteers)
Approved minor amendments to the Omnibus bill
Student Organizations Committee (SOC) Updates
- Currently there are 116 student orgs. If the number of the orgs growth, MCSG will face budgeting constraints–further campus discussions with students and orgs will take place
Approved an additional allocation request for WMCN for $4817.14
Approved two additional allocations for the Outing Club for $1600.00 and $1310.00
Program Board (PB) Updates
- PB is now on snapchat macalester.pb
Academic Affairs Committee (AAC) Updates
- Summary from the space report meeting
Student Services and Relations Committee (SSRC) Updates
- Discussed athlete/non-athlete relationship at Mac–hoping for student feedback
Financial Affairs Committee (FAC) Updates
- Emphasize commitment to cost-consciousness in budgeting decision-making
- Emphasize the importance of checkbooks for student orgs
- Org leaders encourage to email FAC with any questions regarding budgeting process