- Mar 12 French Lecture Series
- Mar 13 "Exodus Politics" with Dr. Robert Patterson - A Women's History Month Colloquium
- Mar 13 EnviroThursday - "The Indigenous Roots of Sustainable Forestry in the United States and an Environmental History of the Menominee Tribe of Wisconsin"
- Mar 16 Chopin Society presents pianist Inon Barnatan
- Mar 27 Philosophy Colloquium - Cheshire Calhoun
- Mar 27 Pete Ferderer Inaugural Lecture: Edward John Noble Professor of Economics
- Mar 28 Peeps Show 2014
- Apr 5 Macalester Choirs
Jonathan Chen ’11
Hometown: Danville, California
Major: Political science with linguistics minor
Study Abroad Location: Sydney, Australia
I spent four months last spring studying in Sydney, Australia. I enrolled in the University of Sydney, which immersed me in Australian culture and the Australian “uni” (university) experience. I picked my own classes, including Indigenous Australian Studies, Australian foreign policy, and linguistics.
It was a great experience being at an institution more than 25 times larger than Macalester. It took me out of my element and forced me to adapt to a completely new environment and culture.
The student body was extremely diverse, and I enjoyed being the only American in many of my tutorials, learning different points of view on political and domestic issues while offering my own perspective. Experiences outside the classroom were instructive as well. I played volleyball for the University of Sydney and joined the beach volleyball community in the Northern Beaches. I loved spending time hanging out with my mates and being an “honorary Aussie.”