- Oct 23 Fall Break
- Oct 24 Fall Break
- Oct 29 Macalester New Music Series: Music from Copland House
- Oct 31 Admissions Fall Sampler
- Nov 8 Opening Reception: Ni De Aqui Ni De Alla From Neither Here Nor There: New and Recent Work by Raoul Deal
- Nov 13 Greg Brick, on “The Rediscovery of French Saltpeter Caves in Minnesota”
- Nov 21 Highland Camerata and Concert Choir
- Nov 23 Chamber Ensemble Concert
- Nov 27 Thanksgiving Break
- Dec 5 Orchestra Concert
By Kaitlyn Arctander '11
Sea Cliff, New York
Linguistics with Russian studies minor
Cultural exchange: Tver region (near Moscow), Russia
I spent the summer working as a volunteer at a children’s camp in the Russian countryside. I taught English classes and worked as a counselor at a camp called Computeria—a technology camp. The campers are a combination of well-off kids who can afford the $900 U.S. tuition and orphanage kids on scholarship. It is at once very similar and very different from American camps. The complex covers 14 hectares in a wonderful pine forest. It has been an amazing experience; I’ve never done anything like it before. It has taken me out of my comfort zone entirely and changed my career plans.
I'm planning to apply for a Fulbright to come back to Russia to teach English. Law school can wait.