- Mar 31 Inaugural Lecture of Thomas Halverson, DeWitt Wallace Professor of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science
- Apr 2 Discussion: Greece in Turmoil
- Apr 11 Macalester Concert Choir and Highland Camerata
- Apr 12 Chopin Society presents pianist Yevgeny Sudbin
- Apr 12 Wind Ensemble Concert
- Apr 14 Global Citizens Celebration
- Apr 17 Chamber Ensemble Concert
- Apr 19 Early Music Ensemble Concert
- Apr 24 Spring Dance Concert
- Apr 26 Pipe Band Concert
Richard Holbrooke Opening Convocation Address 2007 Download .MP3
Opening Convocation Address 2007
Richard Holbrooke, who passed away on Monday, Dec. 13, 2010, delivered Macalester's opening convocation in September 2007. In his address he told students that individuals can and do make a difference in preventing and resolving major conflicts. His talk was the first of three Difficult Dialogues speaking events examining peace and conflict in the Middle East.
Richard Holbrooke brokered a deal between warring factions that led to the Dayton Accords 1995. From 1996-99 he was Presidential Envoy to Bosnia. In 1999 he was confirmed by the Senate to be permanent U.S. Representative to the United Nations. Former editor of Foreign Affairs, Director of the Peace Corps, Ambassador to Germany, and Assistant Secretary of State for European Affairs.