- Oct 29 Macalester New Music Series: Music from Copland House
- Oct 31 Admissions Fall Sampler
- Nov 8 Opening Reception: Ni De Aqui Ni De Alla From Neither Here Nor There: New and Recent Work by Raoul Deal
- Nov 13 Greg Brick, on “The Rediscovery of French Saltpeter Caves in Minnesota”
- Nov 21 Highland Camerata and Concert Choir
- Nov 23 Chamber Ensemble Concert
- Nov 27 Thanksgiving Break
- Dec 5 Orchestra Concert
- Dec 6 Early Music Ensemble Concert
- Dec 6 African Music Ensemble Concert
Richard Holbrooke Opening Convocation Address 2007 Download .MP3
Opening Convocation Address 2007
Richard Holbrooke, who passed away on Monday, Dec. 13, 2010, delivered Macalester's opening convocation in September 2007. In his address he told students that individuals can and do make a difference in preventing and resolving major conflicts. His talk was the first of three Difficult Dialogues speaking events examining peace and conflict in the Middle East.
Richard Holbrooke brokered a deal between warring factions that led to the Dayton Accords 1995. From 1996-99 he was Presidential Envoy to Bosnia. In 1999 he was confirmed by the Senate to be permanent U.S. Representative to the United Nations. Former editor of Foreign Affairs, Director of the Peace Corps, Ambassador to Germany, and Assistant Secretary of State for European Affairs.