- Sep 26 Admissions Fall Sampler
- Sep 26 Inventory: New Paintings by Lisa Bergh and Andrew Nordin Opening Reception
- Oct 5 Chopin Society presents pianist Lukáš Vondráček
- Oct 9 International Roundtable
- Oct 10 Family Fest Weekend
- Oct 10 International Roundtable
- Oct 18 International Archaeology Day: "'Monuments Men (and Women):' Cultural Property in Conflict Today"
- Oct 23 Fall Break
- Oct 24 Fall Break
- Oct 29 Macalester New Music Series: Music from Copland House
Richard Holbrooke Opening Convocation Address 2007 Download .MP3
Opening Convocation Address 2007
Richard Holbrooke, who passed away on Monday, Dec. 13, 2010, delivered Macalester's opening convocation in September 2007. In his address he told students that individuals can and do make a difference in preventing and resolving major conflicts. His talk was the first of three Difficult Dialogues speaking events examining peace and conflict in the Middle East.
Richard Holbrooke brokered a deal between warring factions that led to the Dayton Accords 1995. From 1996-99 he was Presidential Envoy to Bosnia. In 1999 he was confirmed by the Senate to be permanent U.S. Representative to the United Nations. Former editor of Foreign Affairs, Director of the Peace Corps, Ambassador to Germany, and Assistant Secretary of State for European Affairs.