- Jan 30 Opening conversation for "The Soul Selects her own Society: Women Artists from the Miller Meigs Collection"
- Feb 3 Taste of Service
- Feb 3 Macalester New Music Series presents INTERSECTION: Jazz Meets Classical Song
- Feb 4 'Moving Beyond Minnesota Nice:' Engaging Diversity in the Classroom
- Feb 12 Mitau Lecture
- Feb 17 Black History Month Keynote: Dr. Joy DeGruy - "Post-Traumatic Slave Syndrome"
- Feb 18 Mental Health Awareness Film & Speaker
- Feb 19 The Inaugural Lecture of James Dawes as DeWitt Wallace Professor of English
- Feb 19 Robert Blanchette on "Tombs, sunken ships and historic huts: studying ancient wood reveals secrets from the past"
- Feb 19 Chamber Music at Macalester: Brahms Clarinet Quintet with Osmo Vanska
Congratulations to the Macalester Poetry Slam team for taking first place at the 2011 College Unions Poetry Slam Invitational at the University of Michigan last weekend.
In addition to taking first, they also received the award for Best Writing by a Team while three of the team's poets received individual awards. (Teams from 37 other colleges and universities teams competed.)
To prepare, all five team members met for six hours each week to do intensive writing workshops with their coach Sierra DeMulder, an adult National Poetry Slam Champion and published author under Write Bloody Publishing. They did group writing exercises and extensive rewrites of their pieces, spending weeks crafting the poems and performances.