- Jan 30 Opening conversation for "The Soul Selects her own Society: Women Artists from the Miller Meigs Collection"
- Feb 3 Taste of Service
- Feb 3 Macalester New Music Series presents INTERSECTION: Jazz Meets Classical Song
- Feb 4 'Moving Beyond Minnesota Nice:' Engaging Diversity in the Classroom
- Feb 12 Mitau Lecture
- Feb 17 Black History Month Keynote: Dr. Joy DeGruy - "Post-Traumatic Slave Syndrome"
- Feb 18 Mental Health Awareness Film & Speaker
- Feb 19 The Inaugural Lecture of James Dawes as DeWitt Wallace Professor of English
- Feb 19 Robert Blanchette on "Tombs, sunken ships and historic huts: studying ancient wood reveals secrets from the past"
- Feb 19 Chamber Music at Macalester: Brahms Clarinet Quintet with Osmo Vanska
Mac just keeps getting greener. The latest fuel-saving innovation added a station for the Twin Cities public bike-sharing program Nice Ride. The program started last year in Minneapolis, where it enjoyed great success. The station was officially dedicated with a ribbon cutting ceremony in mid-September 2011.
For a $60 membership ($30 for students) or a $5 daily membership, you can check out a bike from any station, use it for an errand or exercise, then return it to that station or one closer to your destination. Small trip fees are charged only if a bike is out for more than 30 minutes.
High Winds Fund, the Mac community relations program, gave Nice Ride a $30,000 grant to make the Grand Avenue station a reality. The Nice Ride bicycles are located in the same transit hub—between Snelling and Fairview Avenues—that holds the Hour Cars. “This is the busiest Hour Car hub in the Twin Cities and we expect similar success for Nice Ride,” says High Winds director Tom Welna.
By summer’s end there will be stations from the Mississippi River to Victoria Street, and in 2012 Nice Ride plans to add stations to downtown St. Paul. Sustainability coordinator Suzanne Savanick Hansen expects staff to use the bikes mostly for errands and students to put them to many uses, including one-way trips to Minneapolis evening events.