- Aug 28 New Student Orientation
- Aug 29 New Student Orientation
- Aug 30 New Student Orientation
- Aug 31 New Student Orientation
- Sep 1 New Student Orientation
- Sep 1 MacReads Lecture for First Year Students
- Sep 2 Classes Begin
- Sep 4 Author Daniel Gilbert to Speak at Opening Convocation
- Sep 26 Admissions Fall Sampler
- Oct 9 International Roundtable
In September, the MSCS department hosted the third annual C*SM*S Scavenger Hunt. Students solved a series of eight puzzles whose answers led students to the hidden location of the next puzzle on the Macalester campus.
Students had to create a "never-ending story" by turning a 3-page book into a Moebius strip. They also had to make their own color-by-numbers picture with a contour plot of a given multivariable function. Sometimes the hardest part of a puzzle was decoding the campus location from the solution. According to Jeanmarie Youngblood '12, the biggest challenge was "doing math while you're out of breath!"
Thirty-three students participated in teams of 2 to 5 players. The victors were Team Moldy Mug, consisting of John Paige '14, Minh Nguyen '14, Amy Jannett '14, Jacob Rath'13, and the eponymous Moldy Mug. They were the first team to complete all eight puzzles. Each member was awarded an Angry Birds plush (with sound) as a victory trophy. Nice work!