IN LABS FROM ST. PAUL to Arizona, and in the field from Montana to Australia, more than 80 Macalester students spent their summers immersed in cutting-edge research. Following are a few Mac students who are pushing the boundaries of knowledge:
- Chase Kahn ’14 (Miami)—avian botulism in the Great Lakes (biology major)
- Erin O’Leary ’13 (Eau Claire, Wis.)—galaxy evolution at Kitt Peak National Observatory, near Tucson, Ariz. (physics with astronomy emphasis)
- Tony Thao ’13 (St. Paul)—at U of Arizona with Professor Raymond Runyan ’72, cell transformation in the embryonic heart (biology)
- Nikita Avdievitch ’13 (Bronx, N.Y.)—with Professor John Craddock, structural geology in Northeastern China (geology)
- Mira Hager ’14 (Madison, Wis.)—immune response to HIV (biology)
- Percy Griffin ’13 (Tema, Ghana)—synthesizingmolecules with implications for new drugs (biology, chemistry)
- Maggie Molter ’14 (Cedarburg, Wis.)—graphene,with implications for ultrafast supercomputers (physics, music)
- Hannah Wiesner ’14 (Madison, Wis.), Domi Lauko ’14(Milwaukee, Hungary), Caitlin Baker ’12 (St. Louis Park, Minn.)—researching mite harvestmen (tiny relatives of the daddy longlegs) in the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area of Queensland, Australia(biology)
- Megan Whitney ’13 (Kennebunk, Maine) and McKenna Bernard ’14 (Mount Vernon, Iowa)—measuring baby dinosaur bones with Professor Kristi Curry Rogers (biology)
October 15 2012Back to top
More Internships News
Meet Mindy Deardurff, the energetic new dean of the Career Development Center.
September 26 2016
Seven fledgling businesses spread their wings in a remarkable entrepreneurial incubator.
September 12 2016
Learning the Ropes
From caring for zebras to managing actors, Mac students gained some unforgettable experiences last summer.
September 5 2016
A Semester in French Publishing
A Mac student's literary adventure living and working in France.
July 11 2016
International studies major Emily Elkins ’16 helps refugees become U.S. citizens.
July 4 2016
Math major handles big data in U of Minnesota program designed to find out more about Parkinson's Disease
June 20 2016
Working in a Senator's Office
As a health policy intern, Tess Van Schepen '16 became part of a community in Senator Al Franken's St. Paul office.
June 14 2016
Public Health Internships
Four students talk about their Twin Cities internships in the world of public health.
May 9 2016
Training Ground for After Mac
A peek into the world of legislative government was an opportunity that William Theriac '16 couldn't pass up.
April 25 2016
Internships in Global Issues
Mac students learn about international issues by partnering with local organizations.
April 1 2016
From Intern to Employee
With the support of the Macalester network, Haroon Bokhari '16 landed an investment banking job at Wells Fargo.
March 28 2016
Determined to find a challenging study away experience, Kendall Van Sistine ’16 spent a semester in Ho Chi Minh City.
March 21 2016