- Apr 24 Guerrilla Warfare and Violence against Mexican Civilians in the US-Mexican War of 1846-1848
- Apr 24 Thursday Noon Recital
- Apr 24 Philosophy Colloquium - David Wong
- Apr 24 Eva von Dassow on “Making Myth in Mesopotamia: The Reign of Erra, God of War"
- Apr 25 Critical Theory Symposium: "Biopolitics and Ideology"
On September 29 nearly 90 students, staff, faculty members, and alumni participated in the Big Gay Race along the riverfront in downtown Minneapolis. This was the first year that Macalester had an organized team in the 5K race, which drew an estimated 5,000 participants and raised awareness and funds for Minnesota United for All Families. Minnesota United opposes the proposed Minnesota marriage amendment.
On October 5, Macalester’s Board of Trustees stated the college’s opposition to the constitutional amendment, which would limit marriage to a man and a woman. The Board’s resolution reads as follows:
The Macalester College Board of Trustees unanimously expresses its opposition to the proposed Minnesota marriage amendment. The Board feels that this amendment denies basic human dignity and rights to our citizens. Such a denial is antithetical to the mission of the college.