- Jan 30 Opening conversation for "The Soul Selects her own Society: Women Artists from the Miller Meigs Collection"
- Feb 3 Taste of Service
- Feb 3 Macalester New Music Series presents INTERSECTION: Jazz Meets Classical Song
- Feb 4 'Moving Beyond Minnesota Nice:' Engaging Diversity in the Classroom
- Feb 12 Mitau Lecture
- Feb 17 Black History Month Keynote: Dr. Joy DeGruy - "Post-Traumatic Slave Syndrome"
- Feb 18 Mental Health Awareness Film & Speaker
- Feb 19 The Inaugural Lecture of James Dawes as DeWitt Wallace Professor of English
- Feb 19 Robert Blanchette on "Tombs, sunken ships and historic huts: studying ancient wood reveals secrets from the past"
- Feb 19 Chamber Music at Macalester: Brahms Clarinet Quintet with Osmo Vanska
On September 29 nearly 90 students, staff, faculty members, and alumni participated in the Big Gay Race along the riverfront in downtown Minneapolis. This was the first year that Macalester had an organized team in the 5K race, which drew an estimated 5,000 participants and raised awareness and funds for Minnesota United for All Families. Minnesota United opposes the proposed Minnesota marriage amendment.
On October 5, Macalester’s Board of Trustees stated the college’s opposition to the constitutional amendment, which would limit marriage to a man and a woman. The Board’s resolution reads as follows:
The Macalester College Board of Trustees unanimously expresses its opposition to the proposed Minnesota marriage amendment. The Board feels that this amendment denies basic human dignity and rights to our citizens. Such a denial is antithetical to the mission of the college.