- Oct 23 Fall Break
- Oct 24 Fall Break
- Oct 29 Macalester New Music Series: Music from Copland House
- Oct 31 Admissions Fall Sampler
- Nov 8 Opening Reception: Ni De Aqui Ni De Alla From Neither Here Nor There: New and Recent Work by Raoul Deal
- Nov 13 Greg Brick, on “The Rediscovery of French Saltpeter Caves in Minnesota”
- Nov 21 Highland Camerata and Concert Choir
- Nov 23 Chamber Ensemble Concert
- Nov 27 Thanksgiving Break
- Dec 5 Orchestra Concert
Chispa Grant in Action
Supported by a Latin American Studies Chispa Grant, in January 2013, Elsa Goossen '15 traveled to Guatemala with nine other Macalester students for a two-week service-learning trip. They stayed with host families in San Juan la Laguna and partnered with the nonprofit Rising Minds, which works on sustainable community development projects around Lake Atitlán.
Their group taught hands-on lessons at a local school, facilitated an after-school leadership camp for kids, created a play structure with recycled tires, led a health workshop for mothers, and helped plant family gardens. They worked closely with local community members for each of these projects, since one of Rising Minds' guiding principles is giving "hand-ups" rather than hand-outs. The Macalester group continued its involvement back on campus, where they shared their experiences, worked on fundraising projects for Rising Minds, and organized the next year’s trip with a new group of participants.